Post subject: Re: New acquisition.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:00 pm 

have a word with ian skinner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:10 am 

Ok I will do. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm 

Hi orac, I would ride your formi with the 8" wheel's before you convert.
I have found the following -
8 inch are a little more forgiving on the UK,s pot hole laden roads due to the damping affect of the deeper sidewall,s, the main reason to swop to 10 inch was that there where more tyre options available in the larger size due to their use on lambretta etc, whilst this is still true , there are more 8 inch options available now than at any time since the 1950,s.
You will increase the overall rear gear ratio by fitting 10 inch wheels by about 8% depending on tyre make, the factory dealt with this by using 14 tooth front sprocket on 8 inch and 13 tooth on 10 inch.
You will gain a fraction of ground clearance with 10 inch.
Your side stand may be less stable with 10inch.
The wheel dimension changes the look of the scooter more than you would think.
If you want to use the underseat tubular tool box. The longer one usually supplied with the 8 inch wheeled scooter's may not fit with a 10 inch spare wheel.
I try to keep to 8inch wheels on my early formichino,s, but sometimes use 10inch on my tatty everyday ride 1955 as I am used to particular tyre I use on my lambretta,s and it is not available in 8 inch.
Hope this is of use, Graham.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:16 pm 

Hi Graham.

I will think about what you say and I will prob use it as it is for a while. My previous Rumi had 10 inch wheels which I found more stable than the previous scooter I had with 8 inch but whether that was due to it being a different bike I don't know.

I do prefer the look of the 10 inch and as you say it gives a bit more ground clearance too. I was always grounding the crash bars on corners on my other Rumi so I'm not sure how it being lower will work. I am aware of the 13/14 tooth sprocket and increasing the wheel size is bound to affect acceleration detrimentally. There are arguments either way.

Anyway I'm looking forward to its arrival tomorrow. I've been Rumiless for a long time.

Regards

John.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:03 pm 

Hi again. Orac, Ian called me this afternoon regarding 10inch rims, as far as we both know the only ones presently available " unless you are lucky enough to find good originals" are the ones made for converting model d and LD lambretta,s to 10 inch, these are heavier duty than original rumi ones which where prone to splitting. The down side with the lambretta type ones is that these have a slightly smaller id than the rumi, so you will need to carefully file the inner face to get the correct clearance before painting, also the outer 6 drillings are not equidistant in relation to the inner 3 wheel stud drillings, there is nothing you can really do about this, it's just a manufacturing mistake and purely cosmetic. You can see these rims on Hugo,s article about his bol-dor restoration on page 3 and on his finished machine. These wheels are occasionally available from lambretta parts suppliers, if you decide to use them and struggle to get hold of any let me know as one of my contacts usually has some in stock. Regards Graham.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hello again,

Yes it was the LD conversion wheels I was looking for but the Scooter Center where Hugo got his seems to be permanently out of stock. If you can put me onto a Lambretta stockist that has some I would be grateful. The 10 wheels on my other Rumi were already cracked when I got it. I gas welded them to repair them and then drilled another ring of holes to stop it happening again. I think there were only 3 holes which didn't do the job. A problem you don't get with the 8 inch wheels of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 pm 

I will ask for you this week, yes the first 10 inch rims had 6 holes on the same inner diameter, lthese ones are really prone to flexing and splitting, later ones had three inner holes for the hub studs and 6 or 8 holes further out towards the wheel rim in an effort to reduce damage. I have also seen the early type with the extra holes retrospectively drilled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm 

Actually you have made me realise that my previous Rumi never had a tool box. I never thought about it before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

greasy-fingers wrote:
.................. The down side with the lambretta type ones is that these have a slightly smaller id than the rumi, so you will need to carefully file the inner face to get the correct clearance before painting, also the outer 6 drillings are not equidistant in relation to the inner 3 wheel stud drillings, there is nothing you can really do about this, it's just a manufacturing mistake and purely cosmetic. You can see these rims on Hugo,s article about his bol-dor restoration on page 3 and on his finished machine. ........

Hi Graham, I do not understand what you mean when you said: "slightly smaller id". Can you please let me know?

I didn't have to do anything in the inner face, it fit perfect at both hubs. Maybe I misunderstood you but if you mean that the "middle hole" (sorry for my bad English) need to be bigger, that was not the case in the pair of rims I got. I am surprise that you are mentioning this.

Again, maybe I am confuse and understanding the wrong thing.

Please let me know.

Cheers,
Hugo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm 

Hello all,

I have previously had to modify these wheel rims, to fit ,but the last ones from Scooter Centre went straight on even after painting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

formic wrote:
Hello all,

I have previously had to modify these wheel rims, to fit ,but the last ones from Scooter Centre went straight on even after painting.

Thanks formic, that explain all. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:57 pm 

Hi Hugo, the lambretta ones I have had have nearly always needed a trim with a file on the "inner hole" to fit on the hub, some have just squeezed on, the problem occurs after you have added a few coats of paint which can then crack as you pull the wheel onto the hub with the last turn with your socket on the wheel nuts. I have had a couple of hubs where the centre is slightly smaller and the wheels just dropped on without any preparation. I have not purchased any of the wheels from the German lambretta guys, but they look to have come from the same manufacturer as the ones I have got from my contact over here, I believe they are all made in Italy ?. Regards Graham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Graham, in my case I was lucky, it fit perfectly even after painting, no problem at all. Maybe they make the inside diameter bigger at the latest once. Formic also got (as he mentioned above) a latest pair that fit well.

Anyway, if John get a pair from there eventually, will have to check how it fit before painting, in case he has to modify it a bit.

Greets,
Hugo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am 

I have a half round file ready.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm 

Orac, sorry looks like no one has any available at present.
Formic, I forgot to let you know those legshields you gave me at Roger's fit their intended crash rail nicely, thanks mate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

Ok Graham, thanks for trying.

Regards

John.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm 

The Rumi has landed. Yippee !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Do you got it at home already????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:06 pm 

Yes it is here.

I haven't started the engine yet. The petrol tap has a bit of a leak so I will fix that first. I have sent for a seal so that will take a few days to arrive.

I have to register it with the DVLA now and they don't make it easy. You are supposed to be able to do it on line but you have to give the vehicle identification number or you can't progress to the next page. The problem is that this is the number you are applying to get from them as you don't have one.

Its a nightmare.

Regards

John.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Good to know it is already there with you :D

I hope you solve the bureaucratic problems to legalize the scooter soon and be able to enjoy it.

Greets,
Hugo