Logo
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I was going to mount an air filter Dell'Orto Tipo F8/1 in the carburetor Dell'Orto MB 22A of my Rumi Sport, but seem that is not possible, because the carburetor has thread but the air filter do not has. When I tight to the max the screw at the air filter, still there is a gap, so it do not get connected.

Maybe I am wrong but, is this not the same carburetor and air filter that mount the Scooter "Tipo Sport"?

I would appreciate if somebody can tell me where is the problem. Wrong air filter?, need adapter?, other problem?

Thanks in advance ;)

Attachment:
DellOrto-MB-22A_01.jpg
DellOrto-MB-22A_01.jpg [ 41.88 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Attachment:
DellOrto-MB-22A_02.jpg
DellOrto-MB-22A_02.jpg [ 53.54 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again,

I think I know what is the problem.

Looking in google air filters I have seen that the F8 (not the F8/1 as mine), has thread.

Is the F8 the correct one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 am 

Hi Hugo, I believe you have the scooter filter and motorcycle carburettor, the motorcycle filter is threaded and does not have the oil drain exit at the bottom, the carburettor that accepts the filter you have is not threaded and allows the filter to clamp tightly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 am 
Site Admin

greasy-fingers wrote:
Hi Hugo, I believe you have the scooter filter and motorcycle carburettor, the motorcycle filter is threaded and does not have the oil drain exit at the bottom, the carburettor that accepts the filter you have is not threaded and allows the filter to clamp tightly.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the filter I would need is the F8 (without the /1), that do not have the oil drain and is threaded.

Now is clear.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 am 

Hi Hugo, your filter is correct for this model.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

RUMISTI wrote:
Hi Hugo, your filter is correct for this model.

Hi Rudolf,

I tried to mount it, however at the maximum tighten position of the screw at the filter, still there is a gap that do not "grab" the carburattor thread area.

I see there are "at least" three models of Dellorto F8 air filter.

F8/1: With oil drain and not thread (This is the model I have)

F8: Without oil drain and thread

F8/10:: Without oil drain and thread

I do not know the differences between the F8 and the F8/10. I only see photos in google.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 am 

Hi Hugo, I will send pictures of the filters I have when I get chance over the weekend, I know from memory I have 3 versions, the ones I have described and another one that is identical to the non threaded non oil drain type but with a much larger diameter threaded fixing, it's obviously not for rumi but I bought a few of them brand new for internal parts. Graham.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am 
Site Admin

greasy-fingers wrote:
Hi Hugo, I will send pictures of the filters I have when I get chance over the weekend, I know from memory I have 3 versions, the ones I have described and another one that is identical to the non threaded non oil drain type but with a much larger diameter threaded fixing, it's obviously not for rumi but I bought a few of them brand new for internal parts. Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks, photos would clarify all this.

I understand reading your first message that the Dell'Orto MB 22A that is mounted at the Scooter "Tipo Sport", do not have thread at the area to attach the air filter, but the carburettor that is mounted in the motorcycles, do have the thread.

If that is the case, I find strange that dellorto keep the exact same name in two a carburettor that have that design difference.

Don't you think?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi again Graham,

Yes, Rudolf just sent me this photo that shows two carburettor of the same model, but one with thread and another without thread at the area where it connect to the air filter.

Attachment:
Dell'Orto-MB-22A-(with-and-without-thread).jpg
Dell'Orto-MB-22A-(with-and-without-thread).jpg [ 62.7 KiB | Viewed 809 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm 

That is it Hugo, the non threaded carburettor has a slightly larger diameter which let's the non threaded filter clamp nicely, I believe the same issue you are having happens with the twin carburettor motorcycle when fitted with the big oval filter as the oval filter ii have s designed for non threaded carbs but got fitted to threaded 18mm carbs, it does not fit tightly and damages the threads making it difficult to fit intake trumpet's at a later date.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

greasy-fingers wrote:
That is it Hugo, the non threaded carburettor has a slightly larger diameter which let's the non threaded filter clamp nicely, I believe the same issue you are having happens with the twin carburettor motorcycle when fitted with the big oval filter as the oval filter ii have s designed for non threaded carbs but got fitted to threaded 18mm carbs, it does not fit tightly and damages the threads making it difficult to fit intake trumpet's at a later date.

Hi Graham,

Yes, I remember when I wanted to get the original twin air filter fit in my Bicarburatore I had troubles, at the end I send it to Rudolf that fix the Dellorto "elbows" to make it fit properly.

I definitely do not want to damage the thread of the MB 22A that I have in the Sport, because possibly I will be changing to "trumpet" and Dellorto original filter once in a while. I got the recommendation to use a piece of aluminum from a soda can (beer works as well :lol:) to use in between filling the gap. I will do it, but as I said probably I end up mounting a short trumpet that make this bike look very nice.

The trumpet is mounted right now is just HUGE and strange.

Attachment:
Carb-trumpet.jpg
Carb-trumpet.jpg [ 51.73 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:05 pm 

Eurocarb in the UK have had the original trumpet remade, they look very good in the photographs, and are sensibly priced.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

greasy-fingers wrote:
Eurocarb in the UK have had the original trumpet remade, they look very good in the photographs, and are sensibly priced.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for let me know, I will have a look ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 pm 

The one they have is similar style to the twin 18 type trumpet, but would look better than the long trumpet you have now. originally the 22mm trumpet would be a shorter one, the one that came on my 51 sport was short chrome plated brass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Graham,

I just ordered this short brand new trumpet :D

Attachment:
Short-Trumpet-Dellorto.jpg
Short-Trumpet-Dellorto.jpg [ 9.42 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]