Logo
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Honda CB 100 - problem
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I was happily going to take a ride with my Honda CB100 (1970) and I got a very ugly surprise.

When the bike started, fuel mixed with oil drain by the tube of the photo. The amount of liquid was huge and the mess I created in the parking too (because was not enough for me staring the engine once, I did three times until I find out that the liquid was coming out by the tube of the photo)

The engine sound a bit strange, but as I said start.

I have clean the parking and came home to see in the two manuals I have of that bike what is the purpose of that tube, but I could not find anything about it. I always thought was a tube to drain extra oil in the gearbox, but honestly I do not really know if that is the real purpose or not.

Hopefully somebody is going to tell me that the other end of that tube should be connected somewhere else and the problem would be solved, but something is telling me that this won't be the case.

I use this bike very little, last time two months ago, and it was running fine.

Any idea of the purpose of this tube and what can be happening with this bike?

Attachment:
Honda-CB100-problem.jpg
Honda-CB100-problem.jpg [ 129.4 KiB | Viewed 4228 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I went to see a friend that is a Honda (small engines) guru and I explained what happened. He said that this hole/tube is to compensate the pressure when the engine is running.

He think that the most probable is that the little mechanism at the carburetor that stop the fuel to go to the cylinder probably fail. There is a tube at the bottom of the carburetor that in case that mechanism fail, drain the fuel to the ground, not allowing it to go inside the piston, however seem that this also fail.

However it not only passed to the cylinder, the fuel has flout completely the gearbox. I took out the oil dipstick and it confirm that it is all fuel mixed with the oil.

Usually I always close the fuel key when I leave the bike at the parking, but last time I took it I didn't do it, so during those two months the fuel have been freely getting inside the engine.

I will empty the gearbox fuel/oil and remove the carb for inspections, probably installing a new refurnishing kit, but this will wait, first is the Bicarburatore.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Do you guys think that the gearbox full of mixed fuel/oil may damage the clutch discs?, may the fuel damage any other component in there?

I do not know how long it took to all that fuel get into the gearbox, but as i mentioned, last time I used it was at least two months ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:27 pm 

Its a small World, Hugo.
I just bought myself a Honda XR600R enduro bike from 1993 - so now I am a Honda man too...

About your problems: Yes, the Black tube is a gearbox breather, sometimes just open directly to the air outside, and sometimes having a kind of valve, to regulate the pulses from the piston, going up and Down.
I do not know which type you have, but a simple search on the internet should give you an answer.
About the fuel/oil mixture in the gearbox: Empty the box completely, then fill it with White spirit (blue petroleum) - start the motor, drive a couple of hundred meters, slowly.
Then empty the box Again, and fill with correct oil.
Your clutch should have taken no harm.
But could be somewhat slippery in the first drives, goes away with use.

But you need to find the course to the owerflow of gas & oil - so the insident wont happen Again!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Lasse wrote:
Its a small World, Hugo.
I just bought myself a Honda XR600R enduro bike from 1993 - so now I am a Honda man too...

About your problems: Yes, the Black tube is a gearbox breather, sometimes just open directly to the air outside, and sometimes having a kind of valve, to regulate the pulses from the piston, going up and Down.
I do not know which type you have, but a simple search on the internet should give you an answer.
About the fuel/oil mixture in the gearbox: Empty the box completely, then fill it with White spirit (blue petroleum) - start the motor, drive a couple of hundred meters, slowly.
Then empty the box Again, and fill with correct oil.
Your clutch should have taken no harm.
But could be somewhat slippery in the first drives, goes away with use.

But you need to find the course to the owerflow of gas & oil - so the insident wont happen Again!

Hi Lasse,

Congratulation for your new Honda, I like very much the XR600R, very fun motorcycle offroad. I rented one in Peru and it was really fun.

Thanks for the instructions, I will try to do it next week. I have one question, What is "white spirit" (Blue petroleum) and why is necessary to use it?

I guess the source of the problem was in the float needle of the Keihin carburator, however I won't be sure until I check it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:18 am 

Many names, yes - but its called White spirit and Avgas, but in Amerika its called kerosene - its quite near the same as jet fuel.
In older days, many thousands of people used kerosene to heat their flats, by burning the stuff in special burners, installed in ovens, or what they had.

Why use it?
Because its rinsing all old oil, petrol & deposits out of the box, without harming anything - and best of all, if a Little left in the box, its harmless, and will blend with the gearbox oil.

A Little warning: I dont know if your clutch is running in oil?
Because if it is, the oil is very important!
Modern oils make the clutch drag (dont ask me why) - but if you use Castrol "Classic" single grade 40 oil, the clutch will Work absolutely perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Lasse for the explanation, I will see if I can find it here locally.

Yes, the clutch is running on oil, I will keep your comment in mind if at the beginning the clutch do not go 100% fine.

Have a nice day ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:45 am 

Hi Guys, I should like to clear up a few translations here:-

English 'White Spirit' or sometimes 'Turpentine Substitute', in the USA is 'Mineral Spirits' and in Holland is 'Wasbenzine'. Definitely not used in burners.

English 'Paraffin' in the USA is 'Kerosene' and in Holland is 'Paraffine'. Is used in burners and jet engines. Avgas is a refined derivative of this.

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hola Ian,

Thanks for the explanation. I will have a look for "Wasbenzine" around. I have check and online seem pretty easy to find here in The Netherlands, so probably finding it locally is not difficult.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 am 

A shop selling paint, most probably have it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:40 am 

Useful to the reader, thanks really to this information