Logo
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 pm 

No no, I am not quite dead yet - even if i am nearing 75...
See what I found - a somewhat derelict example of the (now a days quite rare) racing version of the HONDA XR600.
This bike is the "R" model, no battery, no starter, no turn signals - but just electricity when the motor is running!

Beeing a (slightly tuned) 623cc single cylinder 4 valver, with a 10,5:1 compression, and a 42mm flat slide pumper MIKUNI carburettor, its absolutely "theft proof" - as very few would dare to use the kickpedal, and VERY few could know about the "secrets" around the starting procedure...
(Gas on - ignition set to "run" - and ABSOLUTELY no use of the twistgrip, during the kicking)
Slight use of the "valve-lifter" followed by a almighty kick, will (normally) result in a motor start - BUT, if you are a bit shy, not really believing in what you are trying to accomplish, then you will be catapulted upwards, the motor responding with an almighty kick-back!!

As usual, I changed/rebuilt the bike after my own tastes.
The seat is MUCH more comfortable as the very hard standard twin-seat - the "baggage platform" serve as base for my 60 l. watertight bag, and the non-standard rearwheel is just there, because it has a "rubber damped centre" - nicely keeping the "hammer-blows" from the motor away from the frame.
Generally, I had made the bike into a kind of "travel-enduro" - to be able to go almost "anywhere" with some kind of road...

The motor in its present (tuned) condition delivers genuine 62 HPs - more than enough to make this just 119 Kg. motorcycle quite "wild"!
Topspeed with its present gearing 160 Kph. backed with a "front wheel lifting" acceleration - great fun.
And HUGO, should you read this: "Please let us know about how your masterly restored "Bicarburatore" is running!"

Attachments:
XR600r m. ny sadel 3 (2).JPG
XR600r m. ny sadel 3 (2).JPG [ 108.6 KiB | Viewed 4194 times ]
The Beast.jpg
The Beast.jpg [ 239.39 KiB | Viewed 4194 times ]
XR600r m. ny sadel 3 (1).jpg
XR600r m. ny sadel 3 (1).jpg [ 154.01 KiB | Viewed 4194 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi Lasse,

Good to know that you are as good as always.

Starting that beast with the leg must be a dangerous action, having a high level of probability to break something in your leg in any moment of distraction, but I see you have it under control.

That seat look quite strange there, but knowing you that is not a problem at all, you are confortable, the rest doesn't matter.

Any plan to take it with you to another of those exciting trips that you have been doing in the last few years?

The Bicarburatore goes very well. I took it four more days out this summer, and enjoying it very much every time. Thanks.

Greetings,
Hugo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:45 pm 

Thank you, Hugo, for the kind words...
The reason for this late reply is my homecoming from a 2246 Kilometers trip, with my favourite travel company "MOTOUR" (look it up on the internet)

I was riding the socalled "Factory Tour" going from, L├╝beck, Vielank to Magdeburg, then Zscopau, & the Erzgebirge - and back over Dresden to Berlin - then back home - in all, 7 days!
Visiting many old factories in former East Germany, "Heidenau" tires - "Schuberth" helmets, among many - the highligt beeing a two hours guided tour through the BMW motorcycle works in Spandau/Berlin - (ALL photographing strictly forbidden there...)
The HONDA ran as clockwork - the owner, though, definitely more tired than the bike!

PS. When I began to drive the HONDA early april, 2015, it had 14000 Km. on the clock - now it shows 21258!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Lasse,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Nice to know that you continue those adventure trips.

7000kms in that shot time!, now I understand the seat you have add to the bike, otherwise that would be a torture. But still cosmetically talking look strange.

Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:26 pm 

Dear Hugo, I have been following your struggles with the Racing Scooter - and I am looking forward to hear more about when the new cylinders has been installed!

As you know, I am always listening to you, and I have in due time installed a better looking Enduro seat...
Even more comfortable.
And my old trusty 1952 Royal Enfield 500 "Competition" has now been uprated, with a new "big bore" cylinder, new bigger stainless valves, together with a new "High comp." WISECO piston.
And, "as the icing on the cake" I furthermore installed a socalled "stroker" i.e. long stroke crank, to increase the volume of the motor - now up to 635cc.
Furthermore a stronger clutch, connecter to the new crank by a belt-drive...
The "new" motor gives approx. 50 BHP - enough to propel this just 168 Kg vehicle up to around 150 Kmh.
With strong acceleration, and pulling power as "a steam locomotive" - great fun!

To the driving: After a grand tour this summer to Riva del Garda & the Dolomites/Austria - next year in May, I go with the "Motour Group" to Germany - Poland & Slovakia, on the Honda, on a socalled "Brewery Tour" - visiting a number of breweries, all with accomodation and good kitchens.
Then in June - joining the same group, I go to celebrate the "D Day" landings in Normandy driving my "super" Royal Enfield.
But I have to admit, I am probably nearing the end of the road, motorcycling wise - so from next year, every tour could be the last one, owing to rapidly increasing old age...

Attachments:
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg [ 47.11 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG [ 231.76 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG [ 318.18 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]
R.E.-comp.-500[1].jpg
R.E.-comp.-500[1].jpg [ 118.57 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]