New member from Australia

Introduce yourself
ozrumi

New member from Australia

Post by ozrumi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Hello Rumi Enthusiasts,
I recently acquired what I believe to be a Rumi Turismo, from maybe 1951?
I am 64 years old and this bike has been known to me for over 30 years. The story goes that it was purchased from an Italian immigrant disembarking from a ship at the port of Fremantle in the late fifties or early sixties.
I first saw the bike in the early eighties when I inspected a collection of small Italian machines for sale in a basement in Fremantle. The elderly vendor had Ducatis, Gileras, Parillas, an Alpino and this Rumi. I passed on the Rumi and bought a 1958 Ducati TS98 in original condition. I have regretted not buying the Rumi ever since. To cut a long story short, the bike did the rounds of a few owners and ended up with my youngest brother about eight years ago. I acquired it from him last week. It has been in dry covered storage, but it is believed that the engine hadn't run since the eighties.
The Turismo may have been here most of its life, but it has never been registered for the road. No speedometer has ever been fitted and there is nowhere to put one!! That I will have to resolve if I am going to register the bike. I had thought that the paint was original, but on close examination I can see it has been repainted and has no fewer than five well patinated Rumi stickers on the tank and guards. The "restoration" work was probably done in Italy many many years ago.
Although I have had Crippa's book since it was first printed, I am not at all knowledgeable on Rumis so please don't hesitate to correct me on any of the details.
I figure it is about a 1951 model because it has gators on the rear spring units, a 15mm Dellorto, three speed box and no steering damper. On the head stem cap it has a brass dealers badge in Italian. It sits on Avon tyres.
The engine number is 1B2004 but I can't find a frame number. The headstem - where I would expect it to be, is unmarked.
After a small bit of fettling, and lots of furious kicking, a friend and I bump started the engine. It rums very well and now starts on the kick starter. There is lots of travel on the gear lever, making smooth changes challenging.
My plan is to keep the bike long term and register it for gentle road use.
I am looking forward to learning all about the bike via this forum. This is my first attempt at being a member of an internet forum, so please bear with me as I find my way.
Best wishes to you all.
Maurice
Attachments
Rumi rhr 17 June 2015.jpg
Rumi rhr 17 June 2015.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Rumi rhs 17 June 2015.jpg
Rumi rhs 17 June 2015.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Rumi lhs 17 June 2015.jpg
Rumi lhs 17 June 2015.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 5739 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Re: New member from Australia

Post by hugomez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Maurice,

First I want to give you the welcome to Moto Rumi Forum and thanks for such a nice introduction of yourself you gave us.

It is amazing that you have been tracking that bike for the last 30 years, very nice knowing so much of the story of the bike. At the end you bought it :D

Also great to know that the engine is going well, even if the gears to do engage as good as you would like, but probably nothing that can not be fixed.

With your engine number is possible that some member of the forum can check the factory listing and tell you more about your Turismo.

About the frame number, you do not have to look near the headlight, have a look at the frame where the arrow is pointing at the image below.

Your motorcycle didn't have speedometer from factory, so perhaps you can get exempt of installing it at the registration to make it road legal. Should not be the bike as from factory for the registration?

You can download the Moto Rumi Turismo parts manual at this link: http://www.formichino.com/forum/viewtop ... f=23&t=194 Once you download it you will get two PDF files with the manual divided there.

I have never see a Turismo painted like that, but maybe somebody can surprise you with a photo of another painted in the same way.

If I would be you, definitely I would try to find an original handlebar, it would improve the looking of the bike (at least under my point of view).

Please feel free to post in any section of the forum and in case you need help about how the forum works, do not hesitate to ask, will be a pleasure to help you.

Greets,
Hugo
Serial-number-frame-Moto-Rumi.jpg
Serial-number-frame-Moto-Rumi.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

ozrumi

Post by ozrumi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:50 am

Hi Hugo,

Many thanks for your warm welcome.

Already I am learning things about my Rumi!

I had not focused on the handlebar and did not realise that it might not be right.

Now that you mention it the handlebar does seem higher than usual for a Turismo. The bike has been called a "Baby Harley" more than once!!

The Australian licensing authorities will not register the bike without a speedometer. Even veteran bikes and mopeds need one.

I will post something in the Technical section in due course to explore my options.

Thanks also for providing a location for the frame number. The paint is thick in that area and I have rubbed most of it down now, but I have been unable to locate a frame number. It is usually on the chain side or the brake lever side? What size are the characters?

Many thanks again for your welcome and assistance.

Maurice

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 am

Hi Maurice,

Here you can see where the frame number is located in a Moto Rumi frame. The frame of the photo is not from a Turismo, but I would say that the Turismo have the number at the same location. If that is not the case I would appreciate if somebody can correct me.

Below you also have photos of two Moto Rumi Turismo with the original handlebar for your reference in case you decided to change it.

For the speedometer, perhaps you can mount one of those digitals, that work with a magnet attached to the spoke of the wheel. I think that would be the easiest and fastest.

Greets
Frame-number-Moto-Rumi.jpg
Frame-number-Moto-Rumi.jpg (187.99 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
MOTO-RUMI-TURISMO-125CC.jpg
MOTO-RUMI-TURISMO-125CC.jpg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 5706 times

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am

Hi Maurice,
welcome to the circle of Rumi friends, and have fun with the Forum, which Hugo always keeps up to date.
Congratulations to your Turismo, from the 1st series, which is down to a few parts in original condition.
In the first Turismo models about to chassis No. 4000, the number on the right side, be stamped into the eye of the engine mount.
Even these early models were not equipped with a tachometer.
Here in Switzerland, electronic bicycle speedometer are accepted in such cases.
regards Rudolf
Attachments
Turismo 1 Serie JPGcor.JPG
Turismo 1 Serie JPGcor.JPG (169.86 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks Rudolf for the correction about the location of the frame number at the Turismo ;)

ozrumi

Post by ozrumi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am

Dear Hugo and Rudolf
Wow!! Such help and enthusiasm!!
Thank you both for all of the information and the great photos.
Rudolf, I looked where you indicated and there it was - frame number 1931.
It was covered in thick paint so I would never have found it if I didn't know where to look.
It is actually reasonably close numerically to the one in your picture.
As far as the speedometer is concerned, I have thought about it and I agree that a modern electronic unit from a bicycle would probably be a good idea. I would not have to modify the bike and I could remove it easily if needed.
I will direct some more questions to the technical section of the forum in due course.
Grateful thanks again to both of you.
Maurice

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:50 am

Hi Maurice ,
Renato De'Pannone(Ron) here ,I like you am a member of SIVA in Perth .
Firstly happy new year .
FyI I have recently sold Wembley and have downsized , but still working building Lambretta engines and playing with my Ducaties and MV's and finally trying to get my rumi up and running after many years .
I have been thumbing though the new members list and saw you there , I did know you had the Rumi your brother had in his collection .
How are you going with it ?
I don't know how many Rumi are in Australia , I suspect possibly 2 , both in Perth Western Australia .
My new years resolution is to get my bloody Boldore going as it should , there are a few problems but now I may have a few more hours in the day
to sort it out .
I do need to get a move on as I turned 77 years of age last October , so time is not on my side , however my enthusiasm is .
Would like to catch up and look at you bike one day .
My user name is Ren , why I didn't use Ron I don't quite know , internet forums are like that, people give themselves a handle .
All the best ,
Ron
Ren