Here is my Rumi Juniors

Introduce yourself
RF125

Re: Here is my Rumi Juniors

Post by RF125 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi Tony! I mean to the tank of the gentleman 2° series. I know perfectly both tanks.

Greets

Claudio.

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi again Claudio, Here is a picture that the late Pat Guagenti of the USA sent me some years back of some of his spares. You will see these are both juniors with different tanks.
Attachments
2-USA-Moto-Rumi-Junior.jpg
2-USA-Moto-Rumi-Junior.jpg (100.57 KiB) Viewed 6604 times

RF125

Post by RF125 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm

It's ok Tony, but the right one, has fitted the steel gentleman tank, as you can see im the page 94 at the Crippa's book.
This steel tank, before to be used in the gentleman, was used to fit in the Junior that was exported to the Americas. By this reason, here (in Argentine), we have a lot of Juniors with this tank. We have the others Juniors models too, earles with aluminium tank and telescopic with aluminium tank too.

Crippa don't show in his book, Juniors with steel tank., obviusly, for the europe market.

Tony, do you think this is not as i say?? It's just my hypothesis..

I'm interested to know your point of view.

Thank you in advance

Claudio

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Claudio, To my knowledge the earlier 'junior' was never imported to the U.K. and neither was the sports and bicarburettor. As far as I know the only motorcycle version of Rumi imported by the concessionaires was the latest 'junior gentleman'. Even the scoiattolo was only imported by individuals not by the concessionaires. It appears to me that Rumi were exporting motorcycles to Sweden and Argentina before they ever came to U.K. The 'juniors' that went to Sweden were called 'junior corsa'. Some had very thin wheels. ( I have pictures). So back to your question to me, you are probably right as the steel tank junior never came to U.K. From what I believe, Scooter & vehicle concessionaires only started importing the 'Formichino' type scooters around 1955 and they were responsible for distributing them to other dealers in U.K. Around 1959 they started to import the 'Junior Gentleman' in small numbers. And by 1962 Rumi had gone into liquidation.

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Tony

Looking through my collection of Rumi photos, I came across my earliest of a Junior in the UK. It is of Jim Bound, taken at Silverstone sometime in 1956. He sure don't look too happy, could be the weather? He went on, I am told, to become Montesa's prime agent in the UK.

However, like you, I have not encountered any Rumi steel tanks in my travels.

Ian
Attachments
Jim Bound -  Rumi Junior 1956 Silverstone e.jpg
Jim Bound - Rumi Junior 1956 Silverstone e.jpg (201.92 KiB) Viewed 6635 times

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Hello Ian, Yes ,I think that one was probably a private import. Jim Bound had his Montessa shop in Watford and I can recall 'dribbling' over the Montessa 'Brio's' in the shop window. I also recall the 110 had a peculiar wheel attachment at the bottom of the front forks.

RF125

Post by RF125 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Tony, here an extract of Crippa´s book, page 92 & 94, where he explain the evolution of the Rumi Gentleman.
20141008_173844.jpg
20141008_173844.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 6621 times
20141008_173932.jpg
20141008_173932.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 6621 times

Greets

Claudio

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 am

Hi folks !!!
Very interesting topic !!!
I wanted to add more detail:
Remember that there is a more unusual version of Rumi Junior tank, the Swedish version (sweden), which had a capacity of 5 liters (and similar to the junior version of aluminum tank 18 liters).
This tank, I have evidence that came to USA.
Regards,
Juan Nizio
Tanque 6.jpg
Tanque 6.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 6615 times

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Juan, I know this tank! See my latest article in Café Rumi with my son on bike.

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Rumi´s wrote:Hi folks !!!
Very interesting topic !!!
I wanted to add more detail:
Remember that there is a more unusual version of Rumi Junior tank, the Swedish version (sweden), which had a capacity of 5 liters (and similar to the junior version of aluminum tank 18 liters).
This tank, I have evidence that came to USA.
Regards,
Juan Nizio
Tanque 6.jpg
Hi Juan

At 5 litres, that makes this tank only about the same volume as those fitted to Formichinos. Another new type for me. I seem to remember reading, that at one time, bikes in Sweden had a weight limit and some Sports and Super Sports exported to Sweden had regular size tanks with internal fuel volume limiting and magnesium engine crankcases. It might have affected Juniors as well.

Ian

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi Juan

Just found the article, the weight restrictions and modifications only affected the imported Juniors to Sweden, not the Sport or Super Sport. Sorry for mistake.

Ian

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 am

Hi Ian
If indeed only for the Swedish market (Sweden) was this tank.
I measured the capacity of this tank, and I can assure you has just five liters !!! no more than 1cm3, no less than 1 cm3.
Regards,
Juan Nizio

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:36 am

Ian Skinner wrote:Hi Tony

Looking through my collection of Rumi photos, I came across my earliest of a Junior in the UK. It is of Jim Bound, taken at Silverstone sometime in 1956. He sure don't look too happy, could be the weather? He went on, I am told, to become Montesa's prime agent in the UK.

However, like you, I have not encountered any Rumi steel tanks in my travels.

Ian
Beautiful photo of a Rumi Junior !!!!
Thanks Ian!
Regards,
Juan

Lars

Post by Lars » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Juan! That tank looks awfully familiar :)
If it is limited to only 5 liters, it must be one of those special Swedish tanks. As I recall, your tank is exactly the same external size and shape as the normal Junior tank, so it must have some internal divider to block off the remaining capacity.
This tank came from Pat Guagenti's parts collection, and I have no idea how he ended up with a Swedish Junior tank. But he traded Junior parts with individuals all over the world, so anything is possible.

You have an interesting and historically significant tank there!

Regards
Lars

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Lars
If indeed so, limited to 5 liters of capacity.
It's a double inner tank.
On the outside, it is very similar to the aluminum tank Rumi Junior. It has small differences: location of fuel taps, without hooks pad, I had no tank respirator, without depression around the mouth of the tank, etc
Always seek Pat Guagenti photos with the tank, to validate that belonged to him, but never found.
It is a very important part for me.
Thank you very much for your comments !!
regards,
Juan Nizio