Ugly surprise during my trip back from France

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Ugly surprise during my trip back from France

Post by hugomez » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi,

During the meeting in Normandy with the friends of the French Rumi Club, my Rumi Scoiattolo performed very nicely, I was extremely happy about it, keeping in mind that I could find surprised during the running-in period, but luckily it went well.

However during my trip back to Amsterdam something unexpected happened. In one of the stops in one gas station, while checking if everything was ok with the scooter and the trailer, I realised that the left side bold that attach the seat strap, was gone. Aaaaahhhgggggg!!!!!! Imagine how I felt :(

Luckily I didn't loose the complete strap, because with that side detached, would have been not difficult to get the full strap gone, good that this didn't happen.

I opened the seat and there were the washers and nut. I guess I forgot to use Loctite for nuts in that one, so the vibrations (not only in the trailer, but also during all those days in France riding the scooter), make it loose until the point the nut felt inside and the nicely chromed original bolt disappeared.

I sent a whatsapp to Rudolf to show him what happened and to my surprise, 2 hours later (still driving on my way home in that very hot day) Rudolf sent me several photos showing me that once that he just manufactured. He polished one and sent to me by post this last week and now it is on the bike.

Right now it look amazingly nice and polished, but next time I have to send something to chrome, I will also include it at the batch to perfection.

I just can't thanks Rudolf enough for helping me with this, and doing it that fast. THANKS!!!!!!!!!! :D

Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_01.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_01.jpg (135.72 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_02.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_02.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_03.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_gone_03.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_04.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_04.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_05.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_05.jpg (65.37 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_06.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_manufacturing_06.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_replacement_07.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_replacement_07.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_replacement_08.jpg
Rumi_Scoiattolo_Seat_strap_Bolt_replacement_08.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 204 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

greasy-fingers

Re: Ugly surprise during my trip back from France

Post by greasy-fingers » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 am

lucky that the bolt fell out and did not flap about on the end of the strap against your lovely blue paintwork !

hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Ugly surprise during my trip back from France

Post by hugomez » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:32 am

greasy-fingers wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 am
lucky that the bolt fell out and did not flap about on the end of the strap against your lovely blue paintwork !
Absolutely Graham. Luckily the leather strap tent to stretch to go straight and that separate the metal part of the engine body. Thinking about all the things that could have happen after the bolt detached, for sure I have been lucky.
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html