Uploading photos at the forum

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Uploading photos at the forum

Post by hugomez » Sun May 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi all,

This is a friendly reminder about the importance to upload in the forum photos as much optimise as possible, to don't use too much space of the server. The better we do that, the longer will last the dedicated space we have for the forum, because once we reach that limit, I will have to contract a more space, and that means a higher cost.

Many of you may not notice it, but usually when you upload big files, I download them resizing to a lower quality and size, and uploading it again at the forum replacing the original files you uploaded, however if you upload from the beginning the files as I will explain below, will be very helpful.

The ideal is to upload a 700pixels width photos (if the photo is horizontal). If the photo is vertical, then the 700px should be the height. The compression quality is also very important, because if your photo is 700px but once you save it, you do it as the highest quality possible, the final file is still heavy, however that quality is not necessary.

Of course I don't want to compromise too much quality, the compression must be just enough to get a "light" file, but still good to watch.

The ideal is using Adobe Photoshop. Export / Save for Web (Legacy) / 60 quality / jpg (extension file)

I understand many of you don't use or even have Photoshop in your computer. In that case you can use any resize photo online website (they are free). For example this:

https://picresize.com/

If you don't like this one, there are many others, just search in google "Photo resize online", you will get many results.

Once you upload the high quality photo, you have settings to resize and to tell how much compression quality you want. Please check and do a few test to see how it work and find a good optimum size and dimensions for the photos you are going to upload in the forum.

If you have also problems with this, you can also reach me for help, I can either resize the photos for you before you put them in the forum, or I can help you to understand better how to use those online websites that allow you resize and optimise your photos for the forum.

Once you manage to resize the photo, download them to your computer and use the usual way to upload them at the forum, at the tab "Attachments", as usual.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

:)
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Uploading photos at the forum

Post by hugomez » Tue May 12, 2020 12:46 am

Here I attach two examples:

First is a horizontal photo 700px wide (the height may change depending the proportion of your photo)
Second is a vertical photo 700px height (the wide may change depending the proportion of your photo)

Example-Horizontal.jpg
Example-Horizontal.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Example-Vertical.jpg
Example-Vertical.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 486 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html