its who you know

Talk about anything you feel like
arthur lewthwaite

its who you know

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Although i am not a member of the rumi club and keep meaning to joining it but not quite got round to it, I have offered to make parts for rumi owners and was told by club members their is no point in doing this. I have made 1500 bolts which i am still waiting to get back from heat treatment. If i have to wait much longer, i am going to make a treatment furnace and do them myself. Anyway back to the point. After trying to do parts in a small batches and being vilified for it, at club agm it was put forward that three specific people should be asked to make spares and offer services to club members etc, it seems its not what you can do but who you know.
I am not going to put parts up for sale on this forum as i understand hugo's wishes but hope i can put some pictures up of the parts i have made for my own use and a friend of mine.

tony mooring

Re: its who you know

Post by tony mooring » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:43 pm

You may or may not know, but I am the founder and president of The Moto Rumi Club U.K. I think you should get your facts right before you start spouting off about 'IT'S WHO YOU KNOW'. I cannot understand how you can be talking about what has been discussed at the AGM when you are not a member of the club and you were not even at the AGM. To put you right, it was proposed by a member that the club should start a manufacturing business producing Rumi parts and club subs be increased to fund this operation. The secretary was not in favour of this (and nor was I) due to relevant problems i.e. P/L insurance, taxation, managing etc. However three members were going to discuss options outside of the Moto Rumi Clubs domain. Now back to you and your ideas of manufacturing spares for Rumi's. Our secretary took a lot of time and effort getting together a list of members who would like to place orders for these bolts you are supposed to be supplying, and placed an order with you for them. ( it's who you know)!!! By the way, I cannot understand why you are having the bolts case hardened because they were never hardened originally by the factory. You would be better off having them anodised black to 10 microns. They will look better and will have a very fine surface.

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Tony, yes i do know who you are. I am trying to make a point that when spoke to members about parts i was told it was not worth bothering with as the demand was low. I did not intend to make quantities of parts but a few hard to obtain parts in small numbers say 5 off or ten off or apart as a person required it. Also i am retired and would not be a business but to supply the part at cost to help keep rumis going. I am 70 in february and am doing this because of my interest in rumi going back to 1964. I imagine other people would want a profit out of what they produced.
As for the bolts the reason for hardening and tempering is that bolts are sold nowdays with a tensile strength marked on the head of basically 8,10, or 12. This shows the strength and quality of the bolt and i would expect to supply a bolt to these standards.
I also appreciate Paul's work obtaining these orders. I was surprised how many people wanted them after hugo asked about having a few bolts made. The problem with the heat treatment i am told is the small amount i need done and the temperatue required to run the furnace at is lower than their normal runs so need a batch made up to run furnace at lower temps to make it viable. I can make a small kiln type furnace to do it myself and then temper them in the same furnace at lower temperature. I was not at your agm, but was told about the making spares situation by someone who i made some parts for 18 months ago who was there. He told me because he could not understand why people didn't need me to help with spare parts and then propose the club get parts made. Tony i was riding rumis and repairing rumis at seoke newington with a friend called Michael Miller in 1962. The gold rumi gentleman on the club stand could have been the one i owned as the guy who previously owned it before it was refurbished said he believes the original log book said it was owned by someone in stoke newington. Arthur.

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Well Arthur, it appears I am a few years older than you. I was born before the second world war and was evacuated from London with my parents and sisters when we had fire bombs landing in the back garden. I can even remember seeing flying bombs (V!'s) coming over. I have also been involved with the Rumi scene since I bought my first new one in 1960. Having started the Moto Rumi Club up around 1974 your name never came up on any of my registers. You stated in one of your previous entries that you bought out the stock of Rumi parts from Alford Brothers. What happened to all those parts? Things are very different now to the old days when you could repair a bike or make a new bit for it. I am talking about the health and safety regulations that now cover everything and the public liability insurance cover you have to hold. It's O.K. to make bits and repair your own bikes but it's very different when working on other peoples machines. This then applies to supplying parts and why the club does not want to get involved.

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:45 am

Tony, when my friend and i met our future wifes we were working for headquarters and general stores and repairing rumis at weekends. My mate Mick lived in stoke newington and his girlfriend in Dalston. I lived in Lewisham and my girlfriend lived in dept ford. They were north of the Thames and i was south. I left headquarters and went to work for pride and clarke repairing motorcycles, and had to work Saturdays until 2 o'clock, so the rumi repairs sort of slowly stopped.
Me and Mick were going separate ways and demand for repairs had dropped right off and there wasn't a great deal of value in rumis then, so we collected all the alloy together and sold it as scrap. We sold some parts on and what was left, i left with my mate, and where that went i don't know. This was in 1968. I had no further involvement with rumi until 3 years ago when i looked on ebay to find one and found not much about, even spares wise. So would most probably not show up on your lists, sold the scooters i owned to a couple of guys in Colliers Wood near Wimbledon in1965/1966. The Juniors went in about 1970. Although retired i still carry public liability insurance with my son as my son has to have one any way, so we have carried on. They are not that expensive, all so research into the modern materials required for products and their application goes a long way, hence the treatment of the bolts for strength etc, most of the spindles on the bikes would be in en 24 nowadays, casting in lm 25 for engines and lm 39 for others.