Wheels

Talk about anything you feel like
formic

Wheels

Post by formic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 am

Hello all,
The restoration of my latest scooter has thrown up an interesting quandary. The original RUMI 10" wheels are fitted with six rim bolts, the Lambretta LD wheels, which I intend to use, are fitted with eight, which I am prepared to accept, however a study of the RUMI brochure posted by Juan seems to show seven. Is it my eyes?
All good wishes
Michael

hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Wheels

Post by hugomez » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi Michael,

I think is not just your eyes, I also see 7 bolts in that 10 inch wheel. One of them vaguely, but following the pattern it must be there.
10'-wheel-Moto-Rumi-Formichino.jpg
10'-wheel-Moto-Rumi-Formichino.jpg (262.35 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm

As you see from the original brochure, there were only 6 holes in the 10" wheels. 3 for holding the wheel sides together and 3 for holding complete wheel to hub. This was how my one was which I bought new in 1960. However after riding for a couple of months the holes which held sides together started to crack and I had to get my Dad to weld them up. As he pointed out there was too much pressure which tried to force the sides apart, so we drilled another 6 holes around the periphery to hold the sides together. This was a modification carried out by owners and was not a factory mod. On the 8" wheels there is no problem because the area is smaller and not so much pressure.

formic

Post by formic » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Hello Tony
Thanks for your reply.I had similar experiences in the early sixties with only six studs at the hub.I find it interesting that a factory brochure shows studs at the rim and that they used seven.
Cheers
Michael