Bol D'Or - New Project

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Bol D'Or - New Project

Post by hugomez » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi all,

Happily I can say that I have already here all the ingredients for my new project. A Moto Rumi Bol D'Or from United Kingdom.

I was going to say that this is the new "winter project", but having in consideration that last one took me 3 years, lets keep it as the "new project", I am not in a hurry to finish it soon.

I got this very complete kit from Ian Skinner and Sarah, unfortunately we could only stay together for an hour, but hopefully next time we will be able to enjoy longer, in a more relaxing environment.

As Ian explained to me, this bike was originally sent to UK from the Italian Rumi factory as a Tipo Sport, but there, the Rumi dealer modified the specification of the bikes to deliver to the first owner as a Bol D'Or. This is one of those bikes.

I can wait to start working on it, and as you can imaging, I will be here asking many questions and posting the progress.

Here the first photos of the machine. As you can notice the only missing part is the buddy seat, however it will arrive in the next weeks/months. Ian is taking care of it.

The majority of the parts are original of the bike. Some others original brand new. Others recently chromed, and a few are adaptation, as the speedometer, or the wheels.

Extremely happy with this very nice project thatI will jump on. Thank you Ian for selling it to me.

Greets,
Hugo

P.S: Sarah, the few kgs I am going to gain is totally your fault, your cookies are just amazing.
Moto Rumi Bol-D'Or kit.jpg
Moto Rumi Bol-D'Or kit.jpg (457.87 KiB) Viewed 23787 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

formic

Re: New Project - UK Bol D'Or

Post by formic » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:16 pm

Hello Hugo,
Nice project,good luck for a speedy and troublefree conclusion.
Michael

greasy-fingers

Post by greasy-fingers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Good luck Hugo. I am sure buying from Ian will mean less problems than your bi-carb project :) :) I have a similar bol-dor project waiting for me to get the urge to ride with my bum in the air again :roll: :roll: :roll: Graham

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello Hugo,
congratulations on this purchase, it is certainly a very good substance, and prepares you much joy in the restoration.
Rudolf

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:32 am

Hello Hugo
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful project !!!! and comprehensive !!!!
After many months of waiting, finally it has its D`or Bol !!!
We await the first steps in the restoration!
Hug!
Greets,
Juan Nizio
from Argentina

opsimoto

Post by opsimoto » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:23 am

Hi Hugo,
Congrats and enjoy. I'm also (re) started to work on the Junior racer :-)
See you ;-)
René

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:51 am

formic wrote:Hello Hugo,
Nice project,good luck for a speedy and troublefree conclusion.
Michael
Thanks Michael, I hope that too :)
greasy-fingers wrote:Good luck Hugo. I am sure buying from Ian will mean less problems than your bi-carb project :) :) i have a similar bol-dor project waiting for me to get the urge to ride with my bum in the air again :roll: :roll: :roll: graham
Hey Graham, as you, I am also 100% sure this project will bring me a lot less problem than the Bicarburatore. In the Bicarburatore everything was broken or rotten, here all the parts are completely healthy, the engine is already assembled, everything look awesome to me. Ian really took care of every single detail.
Do not keep that Bol D'Or project waiting for too long, maybe we can ride both bike together soon ;)

RUMISTI wrote: Hello Hugo,
congratulations on this purchase, it is certainly a very good substance, and prepares you much joy in the restoration.
Rudolf
Thank you Rudolf, the material to start working on is really good, but even do, I will have a lot of questions, many doubts, I hope not to bother too much around with basic silly questions all the time :lol:
Rumi´s wrote: Hello Hugo
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful project !!!! and comprehensive !!!!
After many months of waiting, finally it has its D`or Bol !!!
We await the first steps in the restoration!
Hug!
Greets,
Juan Nizio
from Argentina
Hi Juan, yes, the bike is here and ready to start. Now that you mention the first step, what should be the first step?, I guess I have to sit and think carefully how to start, what to do first and so on.
Opsimoto wrote: Hi Hugo,
Congrats and enjoy. I'm also (re) started to work on the Junior racer :-)
See you ;-)
René
Hey René!, nice to hear that you Junior racer is again on the process, what I have seen done so far was impeccable, at the end that bike is going to be fantastic.
Thanks ;)

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:56 pm

rene any pictures of your junior

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi Arthur, I'm sure that René won't mind me helping you here. http://www.formichino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419

Ian

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks Rudolf for the Moto Rumi Lechler samples I have received at home.

Also thanks to Ian for all the information he is giving me offline about paint.

;)
Paint-Lechler-samples-Moto-Rumi.jpg
Paint-Lechler-samples-Moto-Rumi.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 23573 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,

Today I went to the "Do it yourself" garage close my house where I have rented a sandblasting cabinet to remove the paint and slight exterior rust of these parts.

It is the first time I have use a sandblasting cabinet myself. Very happy with the result.
Sandbrasting-Moto-Rumi-scooter-parts.jpg
Sandbrasting-Moto-Rumi-scooter-parts.jpg (127.51 KiB) Viewed 23473 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Beside the sandblasted parts of the photo above, I have all these other parts at the photo below almost ready for primer, but first tomorrow I will apply a bit of filler here and there to cover small imperfections that I afraid the primer would not be able to cover.

Looking forward to it.
Moto-Rumi-Scooter-parts-almost-ready-for-primer.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scooter-parts-almost-ready-for-primer.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 23471 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 am

Hi,

These previous weeks I have been preparing the parts for the painting process.

This weekend finally we (I say we because a professional painter is helping me, teaching how to do it) applied the Max Meyer HP Epoxy primer, and them once it dried, we applied four layers of filler coats.

By mistake I also put in the paint cabin the rear taillight frame, when it is supposed to not be painted, it must be bare aluminium metal, so I will remove the filler coats of it. Thanks Ian for let me know ;)

Next step is to sanding all the parts to get the surfaces as nice as possible for next painting step, so I will be busy for sometime.
01-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-prepared-for-spraying.jpg
01-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-prepared-for-spraying.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
02-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-prepared-for-spraying.jpg
02-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-prepared-for-spraying.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
03-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Max-Meyer-HP-Epoxy-primer.jpg
03-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Max-Meyer-HP-Epoxy-primer.jpg (48.73 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
04-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Max-Meyer-HP-Epoxy-primer.jpg
04-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Max-Meyer-HP-Epoxy-primer.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
05-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg
05-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg (50.02 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
06-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg
06-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
07-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg
07-Moto-Rumi-Scooter-Filler-coats.jpg (95.55 KiB) Viewed 23408 times

Lars

Post by Lars » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Great, interesting project, Hugo. Congratulations!
You are moving along with lightning speed. Parts look good! /Lars

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Lars, thanks.

The parts were already in pretty good condition when I got them.

Yesterday the taillight frame was polished by hand, removing the filler coats we applied by mistake. I am happy with the result.

Another thing I did was polishing the engine covers, but I am not yet completely satisfy with them. For polishing them I used a powerful polishing machine that I got as a present from my colleagues from work, but still I am struggling a bit to find the correct way to polish the parts using it. I found it a bit more difficult that I expected to get the result I would like.

As you can see also the crash rail is on the photo. It was already nicely chromed when I got it from Ian, the only think I had to do on it was opening the holes to fit there the 'Leg Shield', so now that part is also ready.

More soon :D
Polished-Moto-Rumi-taillight-frame.jpg
Polished-Moto-Rumi-taillight-frame.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 23372 times
Polished-Moto-Rumi-engine-covers-+-taillight-frame.jpg
Polished-Moto-Rumi-engine-covers-+-taillight-frame.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 23372 times

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Hugo if you are flattening back, apply a dust coat with an aerosol or at paint shop, and then flatten back with fine grade paper just enough to take of dust coat. Use a colour that you can see. i.e.white.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:02 pm

arthur lewthwaite wrote:Hugo if you are flattening back, apply a dust coat with an aerosol or at paint shop, and then flatten back with fine grade paper just enough to take of dust coat. Use a colour that you can see. i.e.white.
Hi Arthur,

Yes, I did that. The filler coat is gray, but with aerosol we applied a little layer (just small drops all over) of pitch black for me to be able to see once all those black dots are gone while flattening.

In the photos is not possible to see because of the quality of the camera (mobile phone camera), but the black dots are there and very visible for me to work on it.

Thanks ;)

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi,

Tired of the dust sanding the filler coat of the parts that will be painted, I decided to spend sometime doing another task.

The 'Terminal arrows' for the 'Leg Shield' stripes are brand new from the mould, so they need some file, sandpaper and polishing. Now all of them are ready.

Now I guess I will have to go back to the dust.
Terminal-arrows-for-stripes-at-Leg-Shield---Moto-Rumi.jpg
Terminal-arrows-for-stripes-at-Leg-Shield---Moto-Rumi.jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 23336 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi,

The interior of the fuel tank was not in bad condition, however I decided to treat it with "Tank Cure" (Epoxy fuel tank sealant) to protect it for many years, to don't have to worry about keeping the tank full of fuel to avoid rust.

Another little step done :D
Moto-Rumi-Formichino-Fuel-tank.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Formichino-Fuel-tank.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 23263 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:57 am

Another little step, the headlight screen painted.
Moto-Rumi-scooter-headlight-screen.jpg
Moto-Rumi-scooter-headlight-screen.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 23210 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi,

After a lot of work and pain in my fingers sanding all before painting, all the parts are now gold.
The paint and lacquer coat have been applied by the professional, because I didn't want to get drops or do something wrong after all the work that have been done preparing the parts along the last weeks.

VERY happy with the outcome :D

The only thing we could not do, was to put the transfers/decals at both sides of the fuel tank. We were ready to do it, however in the last moment I had the brilliant idea of reading the instructions, and for my surprise, the transfer manufacturer said that after applying the 2K paint, it should be left for at least one week before applying the transfer, to allow vapours to escape.

So next week I will put them on and pass by again to the painter to apply one more layer of lacquer over the transfer/decals.

More soon :D
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-01.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 23178 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-02.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 23178 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-03_.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'or-Scooter-painted-Gold-03_.jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 23176 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

Hi,

I know is not easy to find somebody that has an original Bol D'or, and still has on it the original flag sticker, but in case there is somebody reading this, can you tell me if this position for the transfer/decal is correct?

If maybe somebody have an old photo, brochure or something like that where the flag sticker in on a Formichino/Sport/Bol D'Or to see the correct position, would also be perfect for me to see.

In the meantime, I have test the position on the Formichino as you can see at the photo below. That position is the one I think make more sense, however I may be wrong.
Decal-Bol-Dor.jpg
Decal-Bol-Dor.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 23150 times
Update:

Searching in the forum, there is an old topic talking about the logo Rumi flag, and how it have to be placed, but this is more about place it to the wind direction or instead doing upwind.

LINK: http://www.formichino.com/forum/viewtop ... f=16&t=203

There is only two photos on that topic that shows the flag placed to the wind direction, (one prototype and one Junior). Under my point of view that make more sense than upwind. However even in an original Rumi brochure from factory, the flag appear upwind in a blue Tipo Sport.

I guess this give me freedom to just placed as I want.

:D

formic

Post by formic » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello Hugo,
Good to see your progress,I am at a similar stage with my project.
If I were told that the flag orientation on the blue tipo sport brochure was the only correct way,I would still fix it opposite.
And then there's the one on the tail???
Best wishes and good luck.
Michael

greasy-fingers

Post by greasy-fingers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi Hugo, yes there do seem like various fixing positions and "going with the wind or against it" pictures about, but I do think you should have the flowing flag rather than straight edged flag as shown in your picture, But I am open to correction. Graham

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi Michael and Graham,

Michael, I agreed with you, for me make more sense to put the flag in the same direction of the wind.

Graham, thanks for pointing this up, I didn't noticed that there are two types of flags. One with the "flowing flag", and the other with the "straight edges".

It is a pity that the one I have purchase is with straight edges.

Do you know where to find the once with "flowing flag"?
Two-types-of-Rumi-logo-Italian-Flag.jpg
Two-types-of-Rumi-logo-Italian-Flag.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 23059 times

greasy-fingers

Post by greasy-fingers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

I believe the straight edge ones where incorrect copies and not the original type ? But where the only ones available in the UK in the 1980,s and 90's I h,ave purchased the correct ones via the Rumi club France in more recent times.. Graham