Bol D'Or - New Project

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Bol D'Or - New Project

Post by hugomez » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Arthur,

I think I have covered all possibilities in the tests I did already. Apparently everything indicate that the source of the problem is the Right side coil. At the moment I will not do more tests.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway ;)
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi,

Since a few days ago I had two brand new coils on the Bol D'Or, but I didn't have the opportunity to test the bike in the parking downstairs until now. The result, BOTH CYLINDERS WORKING NICELY AND STRONG!!!!!

I only ride the scooter for two minutes, but enough to know that the engine is performing correctly.

Very nice way to end the year!!!!! :D

By the way, what I thought was a worn thread in one of the holes for the rotor plate, eventually was only the screw, luckily the thread at the crankcase was fine :)

Happy New Year to ALL!!!!

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Congratulations - very, very good to hear, finally you got the motor to run properly!
Many, many desperate & wrong things were tried, except, in the clear light of hindsights, this latests simple solution...
You probably tried EVERYTHING in the book - to end with the correct remedy.

In a few months spring will come - and then you can flex the muscles of your beautiful Racing Scooter.
Happy New Year to you!

Lars

Post by Lars » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Great news, Hugo, I am really happy to hear!
That Bol D'Or is so beautifully restored - and now it is running the way it should, too!
Best possible way to start the new year!

Happy New Year to you and to everyone on this forum!
Lars

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello Hugo, happy new year to you and all. You now know how to test the ignition circuit the easy way. Result, we all learn something new each year and hopefully of benifit to every one else. Arthur.

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Excellent news Hugo !!!!
Congratulations!!!!!
We hope to see a video of his rumi working !!
Happy New Year to all!!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks Lasse, Lars, Arthur and Juan, I am indeed very happy that this is solved. The good think is that searching for the problem I have learn more things, as Arthur said, so it was not just a waste of time.

Juan, definitely I will get a video in some point, but that will have to wait, right now we are at the beginning of winter here, 1° C today, very cold, that is why I tested the bike in the indoor parking at the basement for only a few minutes, but eventually, once the weather improve, I will make a video :)

Now is official, 2017 is here, all the best to all of you in this new year. :D

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Oops !!!!
The temperature here is 34 ° C !!!!!!! :roll:
We will have patience, we will wait for the video!
Happy New Year to all!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina

RF125

Post by RF125 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Excellent news Hugo!! Now, enjoy it!

Happy new year to everyone from Argentina!

Greets,

Claudio

Montesa

Post by Montesa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Great to hear your Rumi is up and running. For the new year, you should resolve yourself to learning how to use a multimeter and how to check the resistance of a coil! HEHE.

Happy New Year!

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks Claudio and Montesa,

Definitely I must learn how to use the multimeter. The truth is that I find the "electrics" very confusing, but for sure I have to learn it.

Still I am wondering why I was not able to find the source of the problem when I swapped the wires of the coils "several times" at the beginning of the tests. The fact is that at the beginning the "bad" coil was working better that at the end, that was almost not giving a single poor spark. I think there probably was also something else, some terminal not well connected, or some poor "earth" somewhere, and both (coil + that other reason) was causing that mess, otherwise I really do not understand.

Along the way, I changed how I was connecting the wires to the wire terminals. At the beginning I used pliers to install them, but then I started bit a bit welding all terminals with tin. I don't know what could happen, it is still really a mystery for me, but finally now is fixed :D

Good day everyone!!

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:27 am

Hi,

Now that the engine is fixed I can think in one detail that I had in mind, but the truth is that I am not sure if I should do it or not.

Maybe I am too picky, but I find the rear part of the seat in a too "high" position, not giving the "angle" that I would say would look nicer.

These two photos show how the seat is right now positioned:
01 Seat-reposition-NOW.jpg
01 Seat-reposition-NOW.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 13650 times
01-Seat-reposition-NOW-B.jpg
01-Seat-reposition-NOW-B.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 13650 times

In this photo (modified in Photoshop with the computer), we can see a bit more desired position that I think would be possible to reach looking at the margen I still would have in the adjustment white part between the seat and the golden mounting plates:
02 Seat-reposition-DESIRED.jpg
02 Seat-reposition-DESIRED.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 13650 times

To be able to drop down the rear part of the seat, I would need to drop the white part down, HOWEVER the left side is touching the golden part:
A---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg
A---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 13650 times

However if I chop that little section of the golden part (both sides), I should be able to drop the seat a bit more down, keeping a more desirable angle:
B---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg
B---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 13650 times
C---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg
C---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 13650 times

What you guys think?

Am I too picky, or maybe would be worth to do it?

Do you also see that the angle seat is not as correct as visually should be?

I am driving crazy?
:lol:

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Just do it, Hugo - because I feel you wont really be satisfied before the seat is to your liking...
Also, an enormous difference (to the better) will be, if you also spray the white under seat parts in gold!

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Hugo perhaps you could cut horizontily on seat bracket, behind the white part so slot in white part could slide down fully on to bolt. Then re radius end of seat bracket.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Lasse wrote:Just do it, Hugo - because I feel you wont really be satisfied before the seat is to your liking...
Also, an enormous difference (to the better) will be, if you also spray the white under seat parts in gold!
Hi Lasse, I see you already know me very well. When I have something in mind that bothers me, I can't take out of it until is solved. Maybe I should check if I am OCD :lol: :lol:
Lasse wrote:Hugo perhaps you could cut horizontily on seat bracket, behind the white part so slot in white part could slide down fully on to bolt. Then re radius end of seat bracket.
Hi Arthur, is not that that same as I suggested?, if your idea is different please let me know, because maybe I am missing something and the solution to get what I want, can be done in a better way than the way I am planning of doing.

Basically my intention is to cut the very last part of the Golden parts that is not allowing the white adjustment part of the seat to move down. Cutting that section the white adjustment could be dropped down much more than now.

Is not the same idea?

Greets

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Hugo

I'm sure that Graham won't mind me putting up two pics of his Bol d'Or, illustrating the 'down hill' slant of the seating arrangement.

However, removing material from the rear of the mounting plates that has been suggested, is a way to allow a more 'level' seat arrangement, if that is what you want. In any event, the seating comfort is awful what ever you do!!

Keep the underside white as were the originals.

Ian
Attachments
Graham Fisher Bol d'Or.jpg
Graham Fisher Bol d'Or.jpg (226.4 KiB) Viewed 13631 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Hola Ian,

Thanks for the photos of Graham beautiful Bol D'Or. I see there the seat has the same inclination as mine right now.

Yes, my intention is to get the seat a bit more perpendicular with the rest of the bike to make it look (under my point of view) nicer.

I understand that either way the riding position of this scooter is very uncomfortable, specially for a tall person like me (1m 93cm), so either way will be difficult to ride it for me :lol:

Regarding the rear section of the seat, right now as we can see at the photos, the seat (white metal part) is resting on the "mounting plates" (gold). If I remove that material from the mounting plates as I suggested, all my weight will rest on the two black screws that are at the sides of the "mounting plates". Is that ok?, I guess I am not that heavy to break those screws :lol: but I just want to be sure that all weight resting there will not be a problem.

What do you think?

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Hugo you want to cut ends off bracket of vertically. My suggestion is you cut horizontally and level just above seat bracket (gold) bolt threaded hole and just pass threaded bolt hole. Take this bit of plate out and when seat lowered bracket will look as standard. You may have to take a small piece verticall to clear rear of seat, but just a small slither.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 pm

arthur lewthwaite wrote:Hugo you want to cut ends off bracket of vertically. My suggestion is you cut horizontally and level just above seat bracket (gold) bolt threaded hole and just pass threaded bolt hole. Take this bit of plate out and when seat lowered bracket will look as standard. You may have to take a small piece verticall to clear rear of seat, but just a small slither.
Hi Arthur,

Thank you very much, I like the idea of not cutting completely vertical the very rear end of the mounting plates (Gold), but instead as you suggested, cutting also horizontal just until the same level of the hole of the black screw (but not necessarily reaching the hole of the screw). Visually would look better and also the white seat metal part could rest on the mounting plates, not letting all my weight resting only over the two black screws, and visually would look nice I think.

I would need to cut enough to get the correct position where the seat drop as much as the black screws allow, and at the same time is just touching (or almost touching) the rear white metal part of the seat with the golden mounting plates.
D---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg
D---White-and-Golden-parts.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 13714 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi,

Any trick (advise) to try to damage as less as possible the paint once I am cutting the golden mounting plates?

If I am lucky and I manage to only left in bare metal the very back face of the mounting plate, I could use a small paint brush for that thin line that would have to be pained, however if also paint of the faces at the sides "jump out", then will not be possible to fix with the small brush paint.

Maybe an special protecting tape or something like that?

I guess the thinner the cutting disk on the Dremel the better, right?

Greets.

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Hugo cover with masking tape as used for painting.mark out and carefully and slowly cut with fine hacksaw, so you eliminate heat of disc cutting and melting paint on edge of cut. Finish with a file and paint.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi Arthur, thank but I think at the end will not be necessary cutting anything.

I was looking/measuring the golden mounting plates and the white adjustment part that is between the seat and the golden mounting plates to see how much I should cut of the mounting plates, and then I noticed that actually would be possible to turn 180° the white adjustment part.

Now the seat is completely parallel with the rear section body. I do not know if that is correct, but the truth is that I like it very much, I see it much more harmonious with the rest of the scooter.

Don't you guys think so? I definitely do :D

No needed to cut anything either.

Yes, I still have the plastic protection on the seat to do not get it dirty while I was still working on the engine, soon I will remove it.
(Sorry I took the photos with the mobile phone)
Turning-180-white-adjustment-part-seat.jpg
Turning-180-white-adjustment-part-seat.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 13634 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-DOr-seat-new-position-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-DOr-seat-new-position-01.jpg (85.74 KiB) Viewed 13634 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-DOr-seat-new-position-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-DOr-seat-new-position-02.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 13634 times

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello Hugo,
Congratulations to your racer, now it looks very good, and I like it.
Rudolf

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 am

I also think it looks better with the seat parallel to the ground. It continues the horizontal line set by the tank/headlight unit. Looks much more harmonious now. Beautiful!

Lars

greasy-fingers

Post by greasy-fingers » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:07 am

Looks good hugo, always seen then fitted "jacked-up" but a definite improvement visually IMO.

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 am

Excellent!! :D
Congratulations Hugo!
Now, the seat is much better! I like it!!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina