Bol D'Or - New Project

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Bol D'Or - New Project

Post by hugomez » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 pm

I see you guys also like it as much as to me. I would say with this the Bol D'Or is finally completed. :D
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Hm. - not completely finished...
Dont make me wrong - the new seats position is much better than before!

But why not take the last tiny final steps?
Because the seat is not parallel with the ground now.
It should be lowered approx. 3-4 cm. at the front - and in the back, the white painted metal bracket sticking down, from underneath the seat, should be painted Gold.
Nitpicking? - maybe...

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:38 pm

HI Lasse, thanks for your suggestion. I see you can be even more picky than me :lol: :lol:

The front part only can be move horizontally, but there is no way to lower the seat at the front part to hide the white metal. Even moving the seat more to the front (or back) the metal you see follow it.

I see your point about painting the metal gold instead white, but it is part of the seat assembling, so under my point of view it should follow the color of the seat. If the seat would be black, I would have those metals black. I understand that at this point this is a matter of taste, I think white is fine.

Nevertheless, the scooter as you know is very small, if you are standing near it you do not see those metal, you really have to bend down to be able to see the metal coming out. When I took the photos I was on my knees, taking it from a very low angle.

Under my point of view, the Bol D'Or is finished :D

Thanks

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:20 pm

I see your point about paint, Hugo.
But what I also ment, was just to LOWER the front part of the seat slightly, to make it perfectly horisontal (which it isnt now...)

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Lasse,

I understand your point. However it is not possible to low the seat from the front of it, and the rear part of the seat is not at the higher possible position. I could move it lower, the adjustment white metal part allow me to do it, but them it would be even less horizontal.

In the next three images I have draw lines following the design "lines" of the scooter, so we can compare the seat position following that lines.

Following them we can see that no one would be totally correct with the "lines" of the scooter

01: Lines following the front section of the body:
As we can see following these lines, the back part of the seat is lower than the front, so is not following the lines. To make it correct with this lines the rear of the seat should be slightly higher, or the front of the seat slightly lower (as you suggested), then it would be straight and align with the front body section.
Blue-lines-front-section-reference.jpg
Blue-lines-front-section-reference.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 11312 times
02: Lines following the rear section of the body:
As we can see here, if the seat would follow the scooter lines of the rear section, the rear of the seat should be slightly lower, however, even if it would match with the "scooter rear body lines", it would not be correct because is not logical to have the rear part of the seat too low vs the front, so lowering the rear of the seat more to match that would not be good idea.
Red-lines-rear-section-reference.jpg
Red-lines-rear-section-reference.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 11312 times
03: Lines following the complete scooter design line:
These lines show the design line of the scooter from front to back. The seat do not match the lines either, but as we can see from the front to the back the lines goes down, for that reason the seat doesn't look bad (under my point of view) if the rear is slightly lower that the front of it, as the lines of the complete scooter does.
For that reason I am fine with the seat in that position, it is somehow following the lines of the scooter from front to back.
Another thing to have in consideration is that the seat has two "bumps" that shape the butt. If I am sitting "relax" using the front of the seat, it has this little shape that make the feeling that you are not falling back. And if I am in a racing position, "lie down", my butt would rest at the back of the seat, and still have the feeling I am not falling back because the second "bump"the seat has on it.
Long story short, at the end of the day I like the new position, I think is kind of in line with the complete scooter.
Green-lines-all-scooter-reference.jpg
Green-lines-all-scooter-reference.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 11312 times

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Hugo, I would personally prefer your suggestion no. 1.
As I, (as you know) have a acquired taste - ha hem, I would only be satisfied, if the front end of the seat, could be lowered a couple of centimeters - to be almost horisontal to the footboards!
The footboards, to my eye, defines the basics of "the line of the scooter".

But, I admit, its almost hopeless to "blend" a "twinseat" into the lines of this RUMI model scooter, because originally it was constructed to be visually pleasing, mounted with two single seats...
Dont be angry.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 pm

I absolutely respect your point of view Lasse, and of course I am not angry, I do not know what I could be, you are just giving me your opinion that in many cases I respect and helped me to improve or solve problems I had in the past.

Believe me that if I would not be completely happy with the seat position, I would change it until I would be completely satisfied, however I really like the position now, I think visually fit and at the same time would keep me on the scooter properly either if I am sitting in front, or if I am lie down resting my "butt" in the back.

I had a look online of different Rumi scooters with buddy seat, the majority has the seat either with the rear higher or all the way horizontal, but I found several of them in the same way as mine as well.

At this point is just a matter of taste.

I love it :D

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 am

That I must give you, because I never saw the vehicle "in the flesh".
Obviously, things would look differently, as you said, when looking at the scooter, standing near to it!
I am sure I would change my mind, standing at the side, or over the vehicle.

I guess the winter months must feel "endless to you" - since you never really got to drive the thing, following your perfect "re-creation" of it, not to speak of your lenghty struggle to get the tuned motor to run properly.
I wish you many happy moments with your rare Bol´Dor!

Your humble servant,
Lasse.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

Your humble servant???, I think that is too much Lasse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed looking forward to be able to ride it properly around. The winter will pass very fast, so in a blink of eyes I will enjoying it.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,

Finally today I tested the Bol D'Or properly. I made around 35/40 kilometres with it and very happy. The carburation is fine, the engine is going nice and smooth. The position to ride it is not very comfortable, actually it is quite uncomfortable for a person as tall as me (1 m 93cm), however I enjoyed the ride very much.
During the ride I could feel pain in my left wrist, because grabbing the clutch lever is such an uncomfortable position, now that I am at home the pain is gone.

Here one photo of todays ride :D
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-Amsterdam-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-Amsterdam-01.jpg (292.32 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-Amsterdam-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-Amsterdam-02.jpg (211.17 KiB) Viewed 7847 times

When I was testing the bike during the last winter trying to fix the cylinder problem, I found out that the previous clutch and brake levers (that are hollow at the interior side (not visible at these photos) pinch my hand against the grip when I grab it, so I got a another pair that are completely round (not hollow at the interior side), and now the pinch problem is solved. Also now look much nicer, the clamp with the screw now is attached nicer than the old ones (inside the blue cycles in the photo), so I got two improvements in one :)

Here the OLD levers:
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-OLD-clutch-brake-lever.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-OLD-clutch-brake-lever.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 7864 times

And here the NEW once:
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-01.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-02.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-03.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Bol-D'Or-New-clutch-brake-lever-03.jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
Very happy day finally riding it properly.

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Hugo,
I am glad to read that your RUMI now works well. Wish lots of fun with it.
Rudolf

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 am

RUMISTI wrote:Hi Hugo,
I am glad to read that your RUMI now works well. Wish lots of fun with it.
Rudolf
Thank you Rudolf, it was definitely time to finally be able to enjoy the scooter.

:D

Rumi's

Post by Rumi's » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Hugo
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!
To enjoy!!!!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi,

The Bol D'Or is still (and will be for some time) in running-in period, so I am going easy with it, keeping the revs low, however the few times I gave a little bit more throttle in first gear, I have noticed that the clutch slip.

This only happen in first gear and in high revs.

I must say that the performances of this engine is much better that in any other Rumi I have, I mean, I notice much more power on this engine than in the rest.

During winter I will replace the clutch disks to a brand new set, and I wonder if somebody can recommend me where to find a bit stronger clutch springs, that will help to get rid of the slipping problem at high revs in first gear.

Thanks in advance.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi,

Luckily I received already a set of 6 brand new reinforced springs for Moto Rumi. They are slightly thicker, larger and stronger as the standard once.

Not in a hurry to assemble them in the Bol D'Or, the winter is long, for sure I will find a good moment in a rainy day to do it. :D

Hopefully them will fix the slipping clutch at the first gear.
New-Clutch-spring-reinforced-for-Moto-Rumi-.jpg
New-Clutch-spring-reinforced-for-Moto-Rumi-.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 4400 times