Bol D'Or - New Project

Talk about anything you feel like
Ren

Re: Bol D'Or - New Project

Post by Ren » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm

very exciting , I hope all is OK , I also acquired an Boldor from The UK ,very disappoint , the seals were 18mm should be 17mm . one of the seal holders were machined by a person that had less knowledge than a high school boy at metal working . All he nuts and bots has copper coated
to make it look like the restorer knew what he was doing , but to avail .
Good luck I think you have a more honest person that has sold you the scooter .

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi Ren,

Sorry to hear that you had bad experience with the scooter you bought. In my case, yes, the person that sold me the scooter is a very honest and respectable Moto Rumi enthusiast, Ian Skinner. I purchased it completely dismantled, but every single part was check by him to be 100% sure that all kit was in perfect condition. Restoring this scooter has been a great pleasure. Now finished.
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:38 am

Thank you for your reply and happy new year .
Your restoration has been epic to say the least , I did nearly everything you did to get it going , I had great problems with the gear changing
could adjust to obtain 2 ,3 and 4th or 1 st second and third , made new selector pins and removed a bit from the side case allowed longer movements .
Tried battery ignition like you did , aways hard to start , changed seals , ones fitted were 18mm , should be 17mm .
I did make a one into 2 manifold and used a 22mm carb , this made the starting easier , but the engine had no power , reverted to the twin 18mm down draft like yours , back to hard starting , like you pushing it is better than using the kick start .

Have not been as persistent as you as I only have had time to look at it 2 or 3 times year , this has made a simple engine rebuild take far too many years .
I'm mainly involved in building racing engines for Lambrettas , this takes most of my time , not allowing me to sort the Rumi , Lambretta LI engines are quite simple and there are many go fast equipment available the market now days , its a strange branch of 2 wheel enthusiasts ,their main purpose in life seems to be to place the lambretta on a dynamometer and see how many HP they can achieve .

Riding them especially competitively is the best test in my opinion . The older shaft model engines A,B,C D /LD area bit more challenging , most scooterist wont touch them in Australia , this is fine with us as we end up doing most off them .

I have since purchased electronic ignition , new crankshaft and nickasil barrels , but have re-fitted my aluminium hard chrome barrels as original .
The problem I have now is that it's very low on compression , making it hard to start and when it does very little power .
Running it, so it will bed in, I believe will solve the problem , however the hard chrome is like glass , this will make bedding in hard to achieve .
This year 2020 I will get it to work as it should .
Regards to you and all on the forum .
Renato De"Pannone (Ren )

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 pm

hello ren where in australlia do you live and are you being affected by the bush first all

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:45 am

Hello Hugo ,
I live in Perth , West coast of Australia , we have had some bush-fires but not like the Eastern states , it been horrific there , worst in history .
Am fearfull that the fires will continue for many months yet .
I thank you for your concern .

If I may ask , is there a way of checking if my Rumi is an original Rumi Bol D'Or, or made to look like one ?

For interest have attached a photo of myself on my Lambretta in the middle of Italy doing one of my Milan Taranto and also one of my son on one of our MV Motorcycles ,also in the Milan Taranto .

Kind regards
Ren
Ren-Lambretta.jpg
Ren-Lambretta.jpg (100.77 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Ren-MV350B.jpg
Ren-MV350B.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:02 am

Hello Ren,
What a beauty, that MV! Nice picture of you, too, on that Lambretta.

Your problem with hard starting and low power sounds like a leaky crankcase/poor crankcase compression to me. Since you are an experienced two-stroke man, that may sound like an insultingly obvious comment. But it is my experience that crankcase leakages are all too common with Rumis. I have three Rumis, all with engines rebuilt by supposedly experienced Rumi people. They all show som pretty serious leakage during a pressure/vacuum test of the crankcase. They are also hard to start and they do not idle well - or at all. I plan to have that corrected, but I think it proves that this is a common problem in Rumi engines.

Have you done a pressure/vacuum test on your engine, and if so, what did it show?

Lars

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 am

Came to think about it, Ren, it might be a good idea to start a new thread about your Bol D'Or in order to discuss this matter further. We have some very experienced Rumi restorers on this forum, so you may be able to find some helpful hints.
But I know that Hugo likes to keep the different subjects and projects in separate threads. Makes it easier to find everything by doing searches later on.
Lars

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Hello Lars ,

No, not an insult at all , no matter how old we become and how much work we do on engines of all sorts there is always more knowledge that a person can acquire .
One of the first things I did was to dismantle the engine and check the seals , I found that 18mm seals were fitted , in fact they should have been 17mm , in my case anyhow .
Ive not done a leak down test test but will do so in about 2 or 3 weeks time , as I have several model D Lambretta engines to build for people they unfortunately can be inpatient .

I will take you suggestion and start a new thread , not the best with forums but will try and start one .
Thank you for your interest and advise.
Ren