Moto Rumi stand at Central Classic (Houten)

Talk about anything you feel like
hugomez
Site Admin

Moto Rumi stand at Central Classic (Houten)

Post by hugomez » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi All,

René (Opsimoto), John (jschwirtz) & Jeroen (jvhulten) mounted a Moto Rumi stand last weekend at the Central Classic in Houten (The Netherlands).

Here some photos:
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_01.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_01.jpg (143.82 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_02.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_02.jpg (146.8 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_03.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_03.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_04.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_04.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_05.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_05.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_06.jpg
Moto_Rumi_Stand_Central_Classic_Houten_06.jpg (153.26 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

arthur lewthwaite

Re: Moto Rumi stand at Central Classic (Houten)

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:52 pm

the junior in the picture i believe is the john dixon racer fitted with a four speed berman gearbox that ian skinner recently sold.perhaps ian could give some more details on the history of this interesting machine.

greasy-fingers

Post by greasy-fingers » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:09 am

very nice stand congratulations, shame it was not in January as I go to Enschede, it would have been great to catch up with you all.

formic

Post by formic » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:01 am

Well done John and Jeroen,a great stand which I'm sure received a lot of attention.
Michael

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:26 am

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1130&p=442&hilit=dixon#p7388

Hi Arthur

Most of what I can say about the Dixon is included in the item above. The gearbox is a Five Speed Albion which were assembled specially for Royal Enfield in support of their early 250 Racing project.

Ian

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 am

The John Dixon Moto Rumi Junior Gentleman 5 Speed Racer

As I recall, the Dixon Racer gearbox case is an Albion Type H shell with a Villiers end cover, as fitted to Villiers 7E and 8E engine units. With plain end covers, they were fitted to Royal Enfield Bullets and Clippers with 3 or 4 speed internals in the 1950s.

5 speed boxes were not a standard option to any of these models. In 1950, Vincent required a 5 speed standard gearbox for their newly to be launched Grey Flash racing motorcycle, of which 41 were made.

Their Comet model sported a Burman box with 4 gears only and pretty clumsy at that! Albion presented a 5 speed factory made gearbox unit solution for Vincent, which was accepted by them in 1950 and fitted to all their 41 Grey Flashes.

At about the same time, Norton had Manx customers requiring 5 speed gear solutions. Apparently, Norton did all the installation modification adjustments enabling Albion 5 speed gearboxes to be installed in their Manx’s prior to their own 5 speed gearbox solution becoming available later on.

Around this time, Albion released 5 speed gear kits, enabling customers to self upgrade their 3 or 4 speed Type H gear boxes to 5 speeds. It appears that Albion made these kits available to the public throughout the 1950’s.

The Albion 5 speed internals were also used by Royal Enfield in their infamous 1962 Crusader Super Five and later on, in their great Crusader Continentals, after sorting out the operational deficiencies of their earlier gear selector design.

In summary, the Albion 5 speed gear set is very strong and is still held in great regard.

So, some time in 1960/61, along comes John Dixon and Terry Fell with their Moto Rumi Junior Gentleman with it’s big jump between 3rd and 4th gear woes, looking for a fix. Their solution was based upon an Albion Type H gearbox shell fitted with an Albion 5 speed gear set and a Villiers end cover. A fair amount of Rumi re-engineering was involved in achieving a working engine gearbox unit. Unfortunately, John is no longer with us and Terry was last heard of in Perth Australia twenty years ago, so hands-on development detail is no longer available.

I’ve heard rumours over time, viz. “Oh, the Dixon gearbox came from a Royal Enfield Clipper”, if so, John and Terry fitted it with an Albion 5 speed gear-set kit.
So, there you have it, in the light of my foregoing investigation, can anyone out there throw more light on the Dixon gearbox source and another more likely solution?

Ian Skinner