My "new" old Bicarburatore

Talk about anything you feel like
Rumi's

Re: My "new" old Bicarburatore

Post by Rumi's » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:20 am

Hello Hugo
Very good work !!! congratulation to you! ;)
Greets,

Juan Nizio

Lars

Post by Lars » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:42 am

Impressive, Hugo! That shape looks exactly correct to me.
Fantastic work.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks Juan and Lars for the comments :). I will work on the rear tip of the front fender this weekend, hopefully make it correctly not damaging it.
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:51 am

Hell's Bells Hugo, you never let on about the Toledo Tin Smith Apprenticeship you served!!, have you got anymore surprises for us?

That is an excellent job you have done there.

Ian

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Ian I didn't know either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Montesa

Post by Montesa » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 pm

That looks great, Hugo. I've been quietly watching your suffering over the past months (years?!) and I admire that you have continued through all of the setbacks, heartaches and bodges.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks Montesa!, long time we didn't see you posting in the forum, nice to see that you are watching us.

Well, my suffering is also excitement, learning and fun, not only disappointment when things do not go as I expect it to go. (engine failure (leak) several times for example)

About the rest are just improvement that for many people would not be necessary to make, but having the bike in front of me in the living room all the time, watching it daily, sooner or later I always decide to change things that under my point of view improve the bike bit a bit, but sometime one little step require dismantling half of the bike :lol:

Believe me, I am really enjoy doing it, very much.

Keep watching and posting Montesa ;)
Hugo

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 am

Hi,

Because of working reasons, I have barely been at home in the last month, so almost no improvement have been done on the Bicarburatore.

I expect very soon to receive the call from the chromer about the silencers been finished, if he finish the job on time, probably end of this week or beginning of next one should I get them.

About the fenders, I am in the hands of a friend that weld things for me when I need. For personal reasons he could not do almost anything lately, but that was fine due I was also abroad.

Certainly I have to learn how to weld, that step always delay anything I want to do. I ask him to teach me but I didn't see much excitement from him side :lol: so I will have to learn somewhere else.

Two weeks ago, when I was a few days at home, I got from my friend somethings welded. He shortened the support bracket at both sides, but when I arrived home to check it, I realised of another problem. Below you will see 1 and 2 positions.
At Position 1 the support bracket is not resting over the top of the silver cylindrical top suspension, but there is a huge gap between the support bracket and the frame.
At the Position 2 (interior view) I let the support bracket resting over the top of the silver cylindrical top suspension, however I do not think that is a good idea.

PHOTO 01:
Modifying-rear-fender.jpg
Modifying-rear-fender.jpg (205.39 KiB) Viewed 19355 times

PHOTO 02:
Modifying-rear-fender-2.jpg
Modifying-rear-fender-2.jpg (111.33 KiB) Viewed 19355 times

Thinking about how to solve this, I thought in "Solution A" that is cutting the green areas and also closing the hole for the screw welding it, to afterwards open a new one at the correct position. This is what I thought.
Solution-A.jpg
Solution-A.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 19355 times

However my friend told me that instead that, he had another suggestion that is cutting again the support bracket and add two flat pieces of metal (one each side of course) for me to afterwards measure it, drill the hole for the screw at the position I want, and cut removing the rest of the metal that is not needed.

We are going for his suggestion, so hopefully he will have some free time to prepare that for me to carry on.

tony mooring

Post by tony mooring » Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Hello Hugo, My father was a sheet metal worker and welder but he passed away 50 years ago. He used to say to me 'welding is not an art, it is a disese and anyone can catch it'. The more you do the better you are at it. Maybe you could take a leisure course at a local college. My welding was terrible to begin with but it has improved with time.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue May 05, 2015 7:08 pm

tony mooring wrote:Hello Hugo, My father was a sheet metal worker and welder but he passed away 50 years ago. He used to say to me 'welding is not an art, it is a disese and anyone can catch it'. The more you do the better you are at it. Maybe you could take a leisure course at a local college. My welding was terrible to begin with but it has improved with time.
Hi Tony, thanks for your reply. I will see if there is a local college that have welding courses in English out of working hours. The ideal would be during weekends. My Dutch is not very good even living here for sometime already (I work in English and Spanish at home), so the language may be a problem finding the correct course.

In one way or another I have to learn welding, no doubt of that.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue May 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi,

After six weeks finally the 32mm pipes and the silencers are back from the chromer. :D

Tomorrow I will have to pass by there again to pick up one of the small screws for the caps, because we didn't notice that one was missing.

I have already fill the packing at the interior of the silencers with "Rockwool" and mount all on the bike.

Very happy with the result :D

More very soon.
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-01.jpg
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-01.jpg (103.48 KiB) Viewed 17987 times
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-02.jpg
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-02.jpg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 17987 times
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-03.jpg
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-03.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 17987 times
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-04.jpg
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-04.jpg (59.07 KiB) Viewed 17987 times
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-05.jpg
Chromed-32mm-exhaust-Spring-for-Moto_Rumi-05.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 17987 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 pm

I forgot to mention the drilled alloy tubes that Rudolf prepared for my silencers. They are also now inside, with the "Rockwood" all around.
Alloy-drilled-tube-from-Rudolf.jpg
Alloy-drilled-tube-from-Rudolf.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 17929 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi,

A few days ago my friend gave me the support bracket with the new "legs" that he weld on it. Then I measured it on the bike, cut it and made the holes at the correct location

I also opened the new holes at the sides of the fender to fit with the support bracket.

At this first photo you can see the support bracket in position attached with screws. You can also see the old hole that my friend weld/close (he closed a few of them).
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-01---Support-bracket.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-01---Support-bracket.jpg (77.63 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

My first intention was to use these rivets that I got from the local shop. However when I was going to put on the fender/support bracket, I realised how difficult is to do it properly without the correct tools, so I decided to use something else.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-02---Rivets.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-02---Rivets.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

I went to the local shop trying to find this type of round head bolts, however the one that has the correct head diameter, has a very thin thread area. And the one that has the correct diameter at the thread area has the head too big.
Round-head-bolt.jpg
Round-head-bolt.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

So, I decided use the screws I had (that has the correct thread area diameter) and with the dremel in 10 minutes each I had the head round. I know it is not 100% perfect, but with the paint on it I think will look very nice.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-03---Screws.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-03---Screws.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 17720 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-04---Screws-&-Rivets.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-04---Screws-&-Rivets.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

Then I applied filler to fix the imperfection at the welding/closing of the old holes.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-05---filler.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-05---filler.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

A few layers of primer with the support bracket not in place yet.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-06---primer-first-few-layes.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-06---primer-first-few-layes.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

A few more layers with the support bracket already attached with the screws (I applied liquid nut lock and two nuts each to be sure they wont get loose with the vibration)
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-07---more-primer-layers.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-07---more-primer-layers.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 17720 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-08---primer-pending-to-sandpaper.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-08---primer-pending-to-sandpaper.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 17720 times

Tomorrow I will sandpaper the primer and paint it red.

I think the rear fender is getting very nice.

:D

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri May 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Today I finish painting it red and applying the lacquer.

The rest of the bike is kind of matt at the paint instead shiny as the fender is right now, so tomorrow I will pass 1200gr sandpaper at the fender and polish it afterwards, hopefully will look good.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-09---Painted-Red-and-lacquer.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-09---Painted-Red-and-lacquer.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 17701 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat May 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi,

The rear fender/mudguard is finally on the bike.

I still have to put the three black bolts at the front part of the fender where is attach to the frame. Right now I put only one (the middle one) and not very tight.
I didn't put them because I will receive a package early this week from Rudolf with several things, including proper black bolts for several places.

Believe it or not, finding black screws and bolts in this city is very difficult. Very easy if I want them "allen", but the other type not easy at all.

Well, this is how the rear fender looks now on the bike. I like it.
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-01.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-01.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 17685 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-02.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-02.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 17685 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-03.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-03.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 17685 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-04.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-04.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 17685 times
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-05.jpg
Rear-fender-Moto-Rumi-on-the-bike-05.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 17685 times

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Sat May 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Very good job Hugo, a compliment from me, and keep it up.
Rudolf

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat May 16, 2015 10:54 pm

Thank you Rudolf!! ;)

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri May 22, 2015 10:16 am

Good morning!,

Last year I was so lucky to by able to buy in Italy an original twin air filter for Bicarburatore, however I didn't have the intake adapters (Elbows) to connect it to the carburetors.

Enrique Campos from Argentina found the elbows and with the help of Juan Nizio, they send them to me (including as a surprise present, rubbers to fix the tap fuel) ;) thank you Enrique and Juan.

However it was necessary to adapt the elbows to make them fit at the 18mm carbs, so I sent the air filter and elbows to Rudolf that made this amazing job, even sending the elbows to galvanize.

I also received in the package many black Rumi screws and nuts from Rudolf. As I mentioned previously, finding that type of black screws and nuts is very difficult here, thank you very much Rudolf :)

It look very nice, very happy with the result.

I have no more excuses to delay the test of the bike, so probably today after work or tomorrow I will do it :D
Fuel-tap-rubber-present-from-Enrique.jpg
Fuel-tap-rubber-present-from-Enrique.jpg (108.07 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Black-screws-from-Rudolf.jpg
Black-screws-from-Rudolf.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-01.jpg
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-01.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-02.jpg
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-02.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-03.jpg
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-03.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-04.jpg
Rumi-Bicarburatore-twin-air-filter-04.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 17616 times

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri May 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi,

First at all I have to confess that I was very worry about the test, obviously because the last few times I have test the bike I had a smoky engine because of a leak.

Good news this time, no smoke from a leak, so I consider this a very successful test.

Here you can see the first video. I took the bike to the parking and I decided try to start it without using the choke and also without purge fuel using the button at the float bowl. I maybe should use both, but I didn’t want to put too much fuel in the cylinders, so I just opened both fuel taps and push the bike very slowly letting the carbs sucking from dry.

As you can see at the video 01, it took a bit to start but not much. Very happy and surprise that it started without much problems.

I have been driving in low revs the all time, because crankshaft, cylinders, pistons and clutch are brand new.

I have noticed a metallic sound. Can this be one piston slightly touching the cylinder head? I have also been thinking that perhaps is from the gearbox, because the neutral between first and second do not get with a perfect and strong “click”. Neutral engage all the time, but it engage softly between the two gears, I am not sure if I am explaining clearly. Even do, all four gears engage well and I am not very worry about the "soft" neutral at this moment.

Am I perhaps too paranoid with the small metallic sounds and should not worry about them?

At the end of this first video, when I stand out of the bike, I realised that the clamps (on the photo below) that I have put just before the test at the fuel tubes, was not good idea, because fuel was coming out from both fuel tubes.
I have remove the clamps (at the second video are not there anymore) and the fuel leak stop completely. I guess when I have compressed the fuel tubes with the clamps, it has deform them letting a empty path for the fuel to come out.

Video 01:

Clamps-fuel-tube.jpg
Clamps-fuel-tube.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 17594 times

After removing all the fuel that was on the top of the crankcase, and removing the clamps of the fuel tubes, I took another ride. If you can handle another 7 minutes, go for it :)

Video 02:

Here another video (this is only 1 minute long) showing the NON smoky silencers :)

Video 03:

Then I have been around 20 more minutes in the neighbourhood riding the bike without any problem, all the time relax keeping in mind the new parts on the engine, specially cylinders and pistons.

Once I arrived home I took the spark plugs out. They were brand new from today.
At the photo 1 you can see them just after taking out of the cylinders.
At the photo 2 I passed a piece of cloth to the top to clean it a bit, but just slightly, removing the bit of oil that was still on them.

I would say the combustion is a bit too rich, right?, It is not too "chocolate color" as it should be.

During the complete ride I didn’t touch the screws at the carburetors. The mixture screw is still 1 and a half turn from top, and the slide screw is still letting visible around 0.8mm the bottom of the slider.

I decided not to touch the screws to get a proper result at the spark plugs reading.
Sparkplugs-before-and-after-clean.jpg
Sparkplugs-before-and-after-clean.jpg (171.89 KiB) Viewed 17594 times
(At the end of first video you can see me with the screwdriver touching the carbs. This is because when I saw all the fuel at the top of the crankcase I thought it was coming from the top of the float bowl, but them I have seen that was coming from the fuel pipes)

Well, the conclusion is that I am very happy. I guess now I have to work a bit on a better carburation and make this engine run to be able to bit a bit get it in higher revolutions.

What do you think?

As I said, I am very happy and satisfied with the result of the test today, thanks again for all the continuous help I am getting from you guys along all these years with this poor bike :)

Greets,
Hugo

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Fri May 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that because of the new cylinders and pistons I made the mixture oil/fuel between 3.5% and 4%, using 98 octanes from BP (free of Ethanol) and oil for 2 strokes engines STIHL HP ultra.

David (UHJ200) told me by email that this mixture may be the reason for the slight rich look at the sparkplugs.

Thanks David :D
Hugo

Ian Skinner

Post by Ian Skinner » Sat May 23, 2015 7:45 am

Congratulations Hugo!!!! Well done. Brown insulators = Air Filters on standard settings!!

Ian

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Sat May 23, 2015 8:18 am

CONGRATULATIONS! - You finally did it - and, in the process, your learning curve had been steep, resulting in you, now beeing a true "RUMI Expert"...
The videos were awe inspiring, to say the least!
Listening to your gearshifts, I could hear you got the box absolutely right.
And no smoke!

About your worries about" the pistons touching the cylinder heads" - relax.
As I hear it, the faint "kling-kling" is very normal for two stroke motors, especially the ones with aluminium cylinders.
The sound stems from resonance between the cooling fins (often cured in modern times, with rubber Blocks inserted between the fins, even with new motorcycles)

Your motor sounds absolutely normal, to my ears, just slightly "dead" because of the overrich gasolene mixture, in conjunction with the running in procedure...
Again, you are doing correctly by adding a good dose of oil in the gasolene, because in principle, you have a "brand new motor" - and such thing needs to be "run in" over a distance of at least 500 kilometers.
Hugo, you simply have to drive, and enjoy this beautiful motorcycle, and get rid of your nervousness and trouble, of which you had so many!
So, DRIVE THE THING, and get the carburettos adjusted, to begin with, set the idle speed, and go on from there.
I guess, for the moment, the needle settings, and the mainjets should be OK.
The plugs are oily, but it will probably go away, the moment you decrease the oil percentage in your gasolene.

PS. a quite important issue is to keep the two throttle slides move 100% in unison - in order to let the cylinders Work as a true "pair".
Very often, after a certain running in period, cables will stretch, or move slightly, and then the throttle slides wont Work as intended: moving up & Down the same.

Again, thanks for the wonderful videos!

RUMISTI

Post by RUMISTI » Sat May 23, 2015 11:08 am

Hugo, congratulations for your work, it sounds good! "with time everything will be fine" I agree 100% with Lasse, you have to adjust the idle, then continue.
I Wish You Success ,,,,

formic

Post by formic » Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 am

Well done Hugo,you have truly made a silk purse from a sows ear.I hope it gives you much joy for years to come.
Best wishes
Michael

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 am

Thank you very much for your kind words :D

Thinking in all the problems I had with the bike (basically 95% of the complete bike parts needed a fix, or a replacement), I am grateful that I had all those problems, because thanks that, the all process have been an intensive Rumi course for me, learning more that I could expect.

In my next ride I will adjust the idle speed, thanks ;)

I just replaced the fuel tubes to a smaller diameter, because the once I used yesterday were too loose, too big diameter, not been tight enough. On this new fuel tubes I have also add two small clamps, smaller than the once I show yesterday, but in this case they fit perfect, so the fuel won't go out.

Now just waiting if my friend have time to weld the front fender closing 8 holes it has around, and also welding the support brackets at the position I indicate him. Then I will finish it and mount on the bike after paint it. :D

Gracias!!!

Lasse

Post by Lasse » Sat May 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Hugo, I forgot just one thing.
You had "oily plugs" after your first drive, yes - but these plugs never really came up to "temperature" - because of your VERY (understandable) sedate driving style...

The plugs will definitely look much cleaner next time, provided you give the motor some "stick" + more revs. - in order to let it be really hot!!