Adjust ignition - electric start

Moto Rumi technical problems or solutions
martinasa

Adjust ignition - electric start

Post by martinasa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am

Hi!

On my Scoiattolo I got electric start. Anyone have information on how to adjust timing on a motor with that setup? The ignition is different from the other ones i've seen?

I got spark, but it just wont fire, and I haven't checked the ignition - stupid of me I guess... should have been first step i guess!

Is it still 2 mm before TDC and 0,3 mm gap on breakers?

BR

Martin

Lars

Re: Adjust ignition - electric start

Post by Lars » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi Martin
I have no experience with Dyna Start systems, but I can not see how it would make any difference to the timing of the ignition. So, if the points just start to open at around 2 mm BTDC, that should be fine. Aiming for about 0.3 mm gap when fully opened should also be fine. / Lars

UHJ200

Re: Adjust ignition - electric start

Post by UHJ200 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 am

'Tis an AWFUL long time since I had anything to do with Dynastart and that one was in a three, cylinder engine in a 4 wheeled Berkley, (yeh! I know, wash my mouth out with soap but at least it was a 2stroke). ;)

But I digress, the thing I wanted to point out was that you should not be too precious about the points open gap, FAR more important is to get the points break angles EXACTLY equal to give you the best chance of each cylinder doing the same amount of work.