Attachments
Front-fork-limit-Moto-Rumi-scooter-Formichino.jpg
Front-fork-limit-Moto-Rumi-scooter-Formichino.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
29.jpg
29.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

UHJ200

Re: Project restoration Formichino

Post by UHJ200 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm

See, if you fitted a battery you wouldn't need three rear light lenses --- by the way, did I mention that I could use a new one for the Tipo? :twisted: :roll: :lol:

pess32

Post by pess32 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi,

I’m looking for Formichino's wire section:
+ VE and wire stator/coil ignition

Thanks

UHJ200

Post by UHJ200 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Oddly enough the limit to the size that you can use is your ability to get the bunch of wires through the holes in the steering stem, via the handlebars and out to the switch.

'Tis dark now so will check what I used tomorrow but with only SIX volts to play with big is good, bigger is better!

arthur lewthwaite

Post by arthur lewthwaite » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Pess, I have the manifold for the twin carbs.

pess32

Post by pess32 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with the gear box only with the first gear. All other gear are ok.

When i pass the first gear it is ok, but when i wanted to ride this gear slipping in neutral... If i keep my feet on the the level, there is an alternance of first gear and neutral...

Do you think it need an adjustment of selector gear box?

Thanks for your help

Seb

UHJ200

Post by UHJ200 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm

'Ere we go again :!: :lol: There has been more discussion on this forum about gear selection and its problems than any other!

How the factory did the original setting is, it seems, lost in the mist of time. One thing I am sure of is that they did have a way. After all, if you are making hundreds of sausages you don't fill each skin one at a time by stuffing the meat in with one finger!

The joint line between the crankcase halves is the datum around which the engine was designed. If I were a draughtsman sitting down to do the job that is certainly where I would have started. This a point worth keeping in mind.

If all the gearchange components are original then a very close examination of the little ground in marks will show that they were put on after the mechanism had been set up.

All part numbers refer to the "Moto Rumi Servicing and Quick Reference Spare Parts Manual"

When setting the selector the first thing to do is to check that the notched tooth on the selector drum (part No.8 page 30) is aligned with the crankcase joint line. The small idler gear (part No.13 page 30) has two notches, it is necessary that the correct notch is identified to mesh with the selector drum. The second notch on part 13 should align with the crankcase joint and the notch on the gearchange quadrant (part No.28 page 32).

A very small amount of adjustment is available by rotation of part No.1 page 30.

All the above assumes that all springs, pawls and bearing surfaces are in a good condition.

Reattachment of the outer case assembly without disturbing anything is quite another story and several owners have their own methods, either wait for them to come along or search the forum for previous posts. For my part I favour elastic bands to hold the quadrant in place with the machine on its side.

pess32

Post by pess32 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:34 pm

hi,

thanks for your answer.

My first problem is there is no notched tooth on my selector drum (part No.8 page 30) but there are two notched on the small idler gear...

It is why i used "four gear technic" for gear assembly. But it is not the good solution or there is a subtlety i don't know !!!

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Even using 4th gear technique for the assembly, sometimes I had to do twice in the same bike to get it right. Maybe is just a matter of try again, maybe the next time works better.

It is important that after removing the cover, you check with a pressure plier that all gears engage nicely (including the neutral), with a nice and solid "click" each time. To do this properly remove the gear number 13.
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

UHJ200

Post by UHJ200 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:37 pm

My first problem is there is no notched tooth on my selector drum (part No.8 page 30) but there are two notched on the small idler gear...

Bummer!

I suspect, but have never had occasion to inverstgate further, that the marked tooth represents the mid point in the angular rotation of part No.8. The implication of a missing mark being that part No.8 was either never marked or is a replacement.

All is not quite lost, mating tooth marks comprise an "inner" and an "outer" due to tooth engagement. A careful examination of the idler gear and the quadrant should determine which notches match up. Remember that the crankcase joint is your line of reference. I suspect that the marked idler tooth that mates with the center tooth as seen through the hole in the quadrant should lie on the crankcase joint line. Once this has been settled it remains for the angular mid point of the selector drum to be found and the correct engagement with the idler gear established while keeping that datum line in mind.

Gawd! Me poor 'ol 'ead is starting to 'urt! So much harder to describe clearly than to do! :lol:

pess32

Post by pess32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 am

Hello everybody,

It is a great day for me because i have found my gear box problem.

it need to open the engine for analyse the gear box. In fact, the problem is due to the adjustment of the first gear between the two pignion. I have reduce the axial tolerence with shims and adjust too the axle selector. Now when i select the fisrt gear the pignion is correctly engaged....

More, i have replace the spring of "finger lock gear" selector axle(page 12, number 16) by a most hard spring... Now the pedal selector is more hard but i see really when the gear is selected !!!

The gear box run very well, it is a pleasure to drive the formichino for my first time !!!

Now it need to finish restoration.

Regards

Seb

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Congratulation Seb for this important step in the restoration of your Formichino.

Good that now the gear box is working as it should ;)
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html