Connecting up the coils to the stator plate

Moto Rumi technical problems or solutions
Izydizy

Connecting up the coils to the stator plate

Post by Izydizy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

My formichino project is progressing well but now I have come to the tricky bit - connecting up the ignition circuit. I enclose a pic of my stator plate with three unused connections - I guess the coil wires go to the two outer connectors - am I right? what is the centre one used for? the orange wire is now is connected to the rear of the dual condenser running from the second set of breakers.
Any help much appreciated

ignition.jpg
ignition.jpg (177.13 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Lars

Re: Connecting up the coils to the stator plate

Post by Lars » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:40 pm

I have never seen this type of ignition plate, but I am aware that this configuration did exist.

It appears that you have the arrangement with dual condenser in the same housing. So, when you say that the orange wire is connected to the back of the condenser, it means that it is connected to condenser number two (back-to-back with condenser number one).

Condensor number one appears to have a black wire connected. It should go to one of the breaker points. Follow the wire and see which set of points. It looks like the no.1 points at the bottom of the picture, but difficult to see. The orange wire should in that case be connected to the other points (with the red wire). Each end of the coil should be connected to a set of points AND a condenser. And of course, to one of the screw terminals, feeding the external ignition coils.

The three screw terminals: Yes, two of them are connected to each end of the coil, as you assumed. Normally, the first two terminals (from left to right) are used for this purpose, but this plate may be different. Does not matter as long as you identify which one is which, they are just tie points for the wires going outside the ignition plate. The third terminal is for the wire from the lighting coil.

Izydizy

Re: Connecting up the coils to the stator plate

Post by Izydizy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Many thanks for your reply - So I've got the condenser connections ok then - one condenser to each breaker - I'll follow your advice on the coil connection but first I'll see if I can generate a current from each terminal.