Moto Rumi - High Performance - Sale

Are you looking for parts for your Rumi?, ask here
hugomez
Site Admin

Moto Rumi - High Performance - Sale

Post by hugomez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am

Hi all,

On behalf of Peter Caisley, I am posting here his amazingly impressive Moto Rumi Formichino HIGH PERFORMANCE for sale.

After reading what he did with that engine and by the look of this beast, ............... woooooooow!!!

---------------------------
Description from Peter:

This 1957 Moto Rumi Formichino's performance has been dramatically improved by the replacement of the original Rumi pistons and cylinders with Piaggio Typhoon aftermarket oversize cylinders. This gives a capacity of 150cc compared to the standard 125cc and has the advantages of modern port design, flat-top pistons and reed valves directly into the crankcase, twin 17.5mm PHVA Dellorto carbs and expansion chamber exhausts. These modifications were carried out under the guidance of the expert UK motor cycle tuner Dave Goddard and the result is a very much improved performance making this machine one of the fastest Formichinos.
In addition to the engine modifications the appearance has also received much attention so as to resemble the Rumis that raced so successfully in the 50/60's and especially the 24 hr Bol D'Or winning machines. In addition to the usual drop handlebars (a period feature) there is a 5 litre supplementary fuel tank and light weight front and rear mudguards, rear-set controls and footrests and a racing style saddle.
All these modifications were made in the early 2000's and the bike has had extensive use since then including a number of lengthy rallies in France. The bike's reliability has not been compromised. The more modern cylinder design and carburettors also give greatly improved starting which usually takes only one 'kick'. It is a delight to ride and more than holds its own in modern traffic conditions. Age however has crept up on its owner/creator so that the time has now come for it to be passed on to another sympathetic enthusiast.
Anyone interested should please contact me at pcaisley@btinternet.com or (0044) 07780914616.

Moto-Rumi-High-Performances-Peter-Caisley-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-High-Performances-Peter-Caisley-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My little Formichino here: http://www.formichino.com/pictures1.html

hugomez
Site Admin

Re: Moto Rumi - High Performance - Sale

Post by hugomez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 am

Hi again, Peter sent me more photos and an explanation about how he fit the Piaggio cylinders.
-----------------

Here are a couple of pictures of how I fitted the Piaggio cylinders. These cylinders have no inlet track so so new tracks/reed valve housings were attached directly to the upper crank-case. An adapter plate was fitted between cyls and case, the cyl studs were repositioned and the c/case/cylinder mounting face was opened up to match the ports on the cyls. It was also necessary to cut off the insides of the two cyls so that they could be brought together to line up with the crankshaft/con rods. This unfortunately opened up the inside transfer ports so a patch had to be welded in to close them.
Apart from that it was straight forward !

Moto-Rumi-High-Performances-Peter-Caisley-03.jpg
Moto-Rumi-High-Performances-Peter-Caisley-04.jpg
Moto-Rumi-High-Performances-Peter-Caisley-05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lars

Post by Lars » Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 am

Absolutely spectacular Formichino! I really like those light weight front and rear fenders/mudguards.
Everything looks so very well executed. Stunning!

luckner

Post by luckner » Wed May 22, 2019 1:52 am

Hi!
It is possible to know how much HP the engine generates? RPM range? Fuel consumption?
Thanks a lot,
LUCKNER

Peter Caisley

Post by Peter Caisley » Wed May 22, 2019 1:55 pm

I have no specifics on the output but I believe the Typoon 80 chucks out about 8HP. As there are two of these cylinders a total of 16HP is possible but I'm sure some power has been lost by the 'siamesing' (is that a word?) of the cylinders which has made the inside transfer ports about 30% smaller. My only real measure is how it performs - 65 mph is easily attainable and I have had it up to 70mph once but I started getting nervous and eased off ! The gearing is standard Tipo Sport so you can see that it is not revving much above the normal Rumi engine.

hugomez
Site Admin

Post by hugomez » Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Peter Caisley wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:55 pm
...... My only real measure is how it performs - 65 mph is easily attainable and I have had it up to 70mph once but I started getting nervous and eased off ! .......
:o :shock: Peter, I can imaging that going lying down in that tiny scooter at 70mph (112km/h) must be pretty scary. Wooow!

luckner

Post by luckner » Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 am

Dear Peter, thanks for answering!
In the Argentina of 1956 to 1962 the Formichino was intensily used for racing and I remember one in the main autodrome in Buenos Aires when a speed of 120 km/h was achieved. I was very young then and the technical updates to reach this performance where a mistery for me. In those years with little spare parts available it was surely reduced to higher compression rate, bi-carburetor (as one of the Rumi modells), special exhaust mufflers and possible reed intake valvs. Possibly neither the RPM was known thus tachometer where extremely rare. I can still hear the high pitched jell of the Rumi on the runway!
On my own Formi the maximum speed obtained was close to 80 km/h on rural roads running regularity rallys. But not for very long because I was very concerned about the health of the engine. She is absolutely standard but very good mantained and regulated. Only one teeth more on the pinion.
Increasing the modest original 6 HP to -lets guess- about 14/16 is certainly a feat. That crankshaft, connecting rods and other mechanical items had endured such explosive power speaks about the quality and design of the motor.
With this power it was surely possible to use larger tires (I see them higher as the original ones) and another pinion-crown ratio?
Thanks in advance and my apologies for so much curiosity! This is triggered for the intense love I feel for my first bike which I own now for 63 years! My father bought her brand new in 1956 and she was allwas in the familiy. Today, totaly restored and in perfect mechanical shape, she wakes up one every month for a nostalgic ride through the neighborhood.
Kind regards,
LUCKNER

Peter Caisley

Post by Peter Caisley » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Luckner

Thanks for your interest, the gearing is standard but great care was taken in assembling the crankshaft and it uses modern con rods with caged needle rollers at each end. I regularly ride at 90-100 kph and occasionally up to 110 kph. At higher speeds the gearbox gets hot and sticky ! I have tried a 15 tooth front sprocket but the speed increase is marginal and doesn't interest me.

Peter